Jan 4, 2014, 5:24 PM EDT
The Anaheim Ducks signed checking forward Andrew Cogliano to a four-year contract extension on Saturday. TSN’s Darren Dreger reports that the deal is worth $12 million overall (a $3 million annual cap hit), with yearly breakdowns as such:
2014-15: $2.7 million
2015-16: $2.9 million
2016-17: $3.1 million
2017-18: $3.3 million
Cogliano, 26, is probably most known for his speed. He’s also been remarkably durable; he hasn’t missed a single game since coming into the NHL with the Edmonton Oilers in 2007-08.
That rookie year saw easily the best production of his career, as he scored 45 points. He has a shot at besting that number this season, however, as his 25 points in 43 contests is a higher per-game pace (.58) than he had in 2007-08 (.55).
The Ducks are likely most interested in his overall play, however. He’s currently tied with Nick Bonino for fourth among the team’s forwards in shorthanded ice time per game at 1:29 per contest, representing a considerable portion of his 15:24 overall TOI average.
Anaheim acquired Cogliano from the Oilers for a second-round pick in July 2011. The team is likely happy to lock down a fairly important piece (though not a key cog, if you will) with plenty of other free agents needing new deals and/or eyeing retirement; the futures for Teemu Selanne, Jonas Hiller, Saku Koivu, Dustin Penner, Mathieu Perreault and Jakob Silfverberg are all in question as of this moment.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)