Jan 4, 2014, 5:24 PM EDT
The Anaheim Ducks signed checking forward Andrew Cogliano to a four-year contract extension on Saturday. TSN’s Darren Dreger reports that the deal is worth $12 million overall (a $3 million annual cap hit), with yearly breakdowns as such:
2014-15: $2.7 million
2015-16: $2.9 million
2016-17: $3.1 million
2017-18: $3.3 million
Cogliano, 26, is probably most known for his speed. He’s also been remarkably durable; he hasn’t missed a single game since coming into the NHL with the Edmonton Oilers in 2007-08.
That rookie year saw easily the best production of his career, as he scored 45 points. He has a shot at besting that number this season, however, as his 25 points in 43 contests is a higher per-game pace (.58) than he had in 2007-08 (.55).
The Ducks are likely most interested in his overall play, however. He’s currently tied with Nick Bonino for fourth among the team’s forwards in shorthanded ice time per game at 1:29 per contest, representing a considerable portion of his 15:24 overall TOI average.
Anaheim acquired Cogliano from the Oilers for a second-round pick in July 2011. The team is likely happy to lock down a fairly important piece (though not a key cog, if you will) with plenty of other free agents needing new deals and/or eyeing retirement; the futures for Teemu Selanne, Jonas Hiller, Saku Koivu, Dustin Penner, Mathieu Perreault and Jakob Silfverberg are all in question as of this moment.
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 28
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 23
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 10
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)