Jan 4, 2014, 5:24 PM EST
The Anaheim Ducks signed checking forward Andrew Cogliano to a four-year contract extension on Saturday. TSN’s Darren Dreger reports that the deal is worth $12 million overall (a $3 million annual cap hit), with yearly breakdowns as such:
2014-15: $2.7 million
2015-16: $2.9 million
2016-17: $3.1 million
2017-18: $3.3 million
Cogliano, 26, is probably most known for his speed. He’s also been remarkably durable; he hasn’t missed a single game since coming into the NHL with the Edmonton Oilers in 2007-08.
That rookie year saw easily the best production of his career, as he scored 45 points. He has a shot at besting that number this season, however, as his 25 points in 43 contests is a higher per-game pace (.58) than he had in 2007-08 (.55).
The Ducks are likely most interested in his overall play, however. He’s currently tied with Nick Bonino for fourth among the team’s forwards in shorthanded ice time per game at 1:29 per contest, representing a considerable portion of his 15:24 overall TOI average.
Anaheim acquired Cogliano from the Oilers for a second-round pick in July 2011. The team is likely happy to lock down a fairly important piece (though not a key cog, if you will) with plenty of other free agents needing new deals and/or eyeing retirement; the futures for Teemu Selanne, Jonas Hiller, Saku Koivu, Dustin Penner, Mathieu Perreault and Jakob Silfverberg are all in question as of this moment.
- Legendary hockey coach Viktor Tikhonov has died 7
- Canucks’ Hamhuis placed on IR 3
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 30
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 16
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 96
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 5
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 16
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 7
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 11
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (96)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)