Jan 4, 2014, 5:24 PM EDT
The Anaheim Ducks signed checking forward Andrew Cogliano to a four-year contract extension on Saturday. TSN’s Darren Dreger reports that the deal is worth $12 million overall (a $3 million annual cap hit), with yearly breakdowns as such:
2014-15: $2.7 million
2015-16: $2.9 million
2016-17: $3.1 million
2017-18: $3.3 million
Cogliano, 26, is probably most known for his speed. He’s also been remarkably durable; he hasn’t missed a single game since coming into the NHL with the Edmonton Oilers in 2007-08.
That rookie year saw easily the best production of his career, as he scored 45 points. He has a shot at besting that number this season, however, as his 25 points in 43 contests is a higher per-game pace (.58) than he had in 2007-08 (.55).
The Ducks are likely most interested in his overall play, however. He’s currently tied with Nick Bonino for fourth among the team’s forwards in shorthanded ice time per game at 1:29 per contest, representing a considerable portion of his 15:24 overall TOI average.
Anaheim acquired Cogliano from the Oilers for a second-round pick in July 2011. The team is likely happy to lock down a fairly important piece (though not a key cog, if you will) with plenty of other free agents needing new deals and/or eyeing retirement; the futures for Teemu Selanne, Jonas Hiller, Saku Koivu, Dustin Penner, Mathieu Perreault and Jakob Silfverberg are all in question as of this moment.
- BREAKING: Kessel traded to the Penguins 0
- Oilers get Sekera for six years, closing in on Letestu 4
- Avalanche sign veteran d-man Beauchemin for three years 5
- Neely was ‘surprised’ that Hamilton didn’t want to sign with Bruins 11
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 26
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 32
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 63
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 25
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 91
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 19
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (91)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)