Jan 4, 2014, 5:24 PM EST
The Anaheim Ducks signed checking forward Andrew Cogliano to a four-year contract extension on Saturday. TSN’s Darren Dreger reports that the deal is worth $12 million overall (a $3 million annual cap hit), with yearly breakdowns as such:
2014-15: $2.7 million
2015-16: $2.9 million
2016-17: $3.1 million
2017-18: $3.3 million
Cogliano, 26, is probably most known for his speed. He’s also been remarkably durable; he hasn’t missed a single game since coming into the NHL with the Edmonton Oilers in 2007-08.
That rookie year saw easily the best production of his career, as he scored 45 points. He has a shot at besting that number this season, however, as his 25 points in 43 contests is a higher per-game pace (.58) than he had in 2007-08 (.55).
The Ducks are likely most interested in his overall play, however. He’s currently tied with Nick Bonino for fourth among the team’s forwards in shorthanded ice time per game at 1:29 per contest, representing a considerable portion of his 15:24 overall TOI average.
Anaheim acquired Cogliano from the Oilers for a second-round pick in July 2011. The team is likely happy to lock down a fairly important piece (though not a key cog, if you will) with plenty of other free agents needing new deals and/or eyeing retirement; the futures for Teemu Selanne, Jonas Hiller, Saku Koivu, Dustin Penner, Mathieu Perreault and Jakob Silfverberg are all in question as of this moment.
- Byfuglien out 2-4 weeks with upper-body injury; Little hurt, too 9
- Bettman concedes there are ‘some members of the NHL family who would like to see fewer shootouts’ 43
- Season over: Avs lose MacKinnon to broken foot 19
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 18
- Bruins sign Krug and Smith to contract extensions 36
- Lawyer: Ribeiro to ‘vigorously fight’ $1M lawsuit alleging abuse of ex-nanny (Updated) 15
- In praise of the Hamburglar 14
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 9
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 21
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 32