Jan 4, 2014, 6:55 PM EDT
At least, that’s how the 22-year-old defenseman is taking it, as he told The Bergen Record.
“I don’t think I was playing my best hockey lately and I guess there’s only one person to blame and that’s me,” Gelinas said.
Devils GM Lou Lamoriello didn’t sound nearly as negative about Gelinas’ struggles.
“He’s just going through some growing pains right now,” Lamoriello said. “But nothing negative. We feel it’s the best thing for him right now. It could be short-term. It just depends upon how he handles it.”
It sounds like it all comes down to Gelinas making the best of the situation. As he notes, he hopes that he’ll stick with the team the next time he gets called up, whenever that might be.
The Devils face the Buffalo Sabres on Saturday night.
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 22
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 21
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 33
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 20
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 53
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (67)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)