Jan 4, 2014, 6:55 PM EDT
At least, that’s how the 22-year-old defenseman is taking it, as he told The Bergen Record.
“I don’t think I was playing my best hockey lately and I guess there’s only one person to blame and that’s me,” Gelinas said.
Devils GM Lou Lamoriello didn’t sound nearly as negative about Gelinas’ struggles.
“He’s just going through some growing pains right now,” Lamoriello said. “But nothing negative. We feel it’s the best thing for him right now. It could be short-term. It just depends upon how he handles it.”
It sounds like it all comes down to Gelinas making the best of the situation. As he notes, he hopes that he’ll stick with the team the next time he gets called up, whenever that might be.
The Devils face the Buffalo Sabres on Saturday night.
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 0
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 11
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 28
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 40
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 24
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 24
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 39
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 131
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)