Jan 4, 2014, 6:55 PM EDT
At least, that’s how the 22-year-old defenseman is taking it, as he told The Bergen Record.
“I don’t think I was playing my best hockey lately and I guess there’s only one person to blame and that’s me,” Gelinas said.
Devils GM Lou Lamoriello didn’t sound nearly as negative about Gelinas’ struggles.
“He’s just going through some growing pains right now,” Lamoriello said. “But nothing negative. We feel it’s the best thing for him right now. It could be short-term. It just depends upon how he handles it.”
It sounds like it all comes down to Gelinas making the best of the situation. As he notes, he hopes that he’ll stick with the team the next time he gets called up, whenever that might be.
The Devils face the Buffalo Sabres on Saturday night.
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 3
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 11
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 21
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 25
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 17
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)