Jan 4, 2014, 6:55 PM EST
At least, that’s how the 22-year-old defenseman is taking it, as he told The Bergen Record.
“I don’t think I was playing my best hockey lately and I guess there’s only one person to blame and that’s me,” Gelinas said.
Devils GM Lou Lamoriello didn’t sound nearly as negative about Gelinas’ struggles.
“He’s just going through some growing pains right now,” Lamoriello said. “But nothing negative. We feel it’s the best thing for him right now. It could be short-term. It just depends upon how he handles it.”
It sounds like it all comes down to Gelinas making the best of the situation. As he notes, he hopes that he’ll stick with the team the next time he gets called up, whenever that might be.
The Devils face the Buffalo Sabres on Saturday night.
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 0
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 2
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 20
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)