Jan 4, 2014, 9:44 AM EDT
The New Jersey Devils managed to keep last night’s contest against the Chicago interesting through two periods of play. However, Patrick Sharp took over in the third period to complete his hat trick as the Blackhawks’ army of stars led them to a 5-3 victory over New Jersey.
After the game, Devils coach Pete DeBoer admitted that his team got bested by a superior opponent.
“That’s the best team in the NHL,” Devils coach Pete DeBoer said, according to the Bergen Record. “The guys that killed us were Hossa, Sharp, Toews, Seabrook, Keith. There’s no answer for that.”
Those comments come about a week after Avalanche coach Patrick Roy predicted that Chicago would beat Colorado in the battle for the division title.
Now certainly some of that opposition praise is tactical as being regarded as the underdog can take the pressure off of your squad. At the same time, the praise sticks because it’s merited.
The Blackhawks have plenty of competition in the battle for the Stanley Cup, but they’re the only team right now that appears to even have a shot of becoming the first dynasty of the salary cap era.
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 3
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 2
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 8
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 28
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 36
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)