Jan 4, 2014, 7:53 PM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings are gradually getting healthier, but that process isn’t without hiccups. In Saturday’s case, it means going without Pavel Datsyuk against the Dallas Stars, as Fox Sports Detroit’s John Keating passes along word from Mike Babcock that the star has a lower-body injury.
The positive aspect of this tough loss is that the 35-year-old will get a nice amount of time to heal up from that (and possibly other issues). The Red Wings won’t play again until Thursday, so he’ll get more than week off with his most recent appearance being the 2014 Winter Classic.
While the abstract view is to point to the Red Wings’ superior road vs. home record and call this beginning of a five-game road trip a positive thing, it’s still a tour that poses some potential problems. That’s especially true beginning Thursday, as Detroit faces the three imposing California teams in a four-day span.
So, yeah, there’s plenty of motivation to sit Datsyuk. Of course, it’s just as possible that he’ll be out for some of that trip, too.
- Blues lose Backes, Oshie indefinitely to concussions 1
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 7
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 4
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Nolan skates Sabres, says the time for ‘taking it easy is over’ 37
- Report: Gryba, Tropp avoid punishment after getting tossed for hits 6
- What they’re saying about the Sabres (and it’s not good) 22
- NHL on NBCSN: Caps, Red Wings battle after hotly contested 13-14 series 5
- Miller wins 300th, Canes finish Oct. without single victory 7
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)