Jan 4, 2014, 11:53 AM EDT
Now that Corey Crawford has returned from a lower-body injury, the Chicago Blackhawks needed to chose between keeping veteran goaltender Jason LaBarbera or 24-year-old rookie Antti Raanta to serve as his understudy.
The Blackhawks made their decision known today by sending LaBarbera to AHL Rockford.
Given that Raanta excelled during Crawford’s absence to the point where he was named the co-winner of the NHL’s rookie of the month award, this move doesn’t come as a surprise. At the same time, there was an argument to be made for keeping LaBarbera.
With Crawford expected to get a clear majority of the starts now that he’s back, perhaps Raanta would have been better served by returning to the AHL where he could get more playing time. After all, Raanta is making the transition from European to North American hockey this season.
Nikolai Khabibulin remains sidelined with a lower-body injury that has already forced him to miss nearly a month and a half. Once Khabibulin is ready to return, the Blackhawks will make another adjustment.
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets vs. Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 1) 1
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 69
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 28
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 52
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 33
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 41
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 91
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (69)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (52)