Jan 4, 2014, 2:50 PM EDT
Maple Leafs coach Randy Carlyle is happy that Phil Kessel and James van Riemsdyk were asked to be part of Team USA’s roster for the 2014 Winter Olympics, but he is worried about what they’ll be like when they get back.
“If we want to be selfish about the Toronto Maple Leafs,” Carlyle told the Toronto Star, “sometimes those things don’t work out the way you’d like them to work out because we know they’re going to another level of hockey, the highest level at the Olympics. Coming back to here after, sometimes the emotions are flat. Some people don’t have anything left.”
His concerns speak to a larger issue about the potential impact the Olympics might have on the battle for the Stanley Cup. The biggest concern is that a star player suffers a serious injury during the international tournament, but fatigue — emotional or otherwise — could also prove to be a problem, especially when you factor in the timezone difference that comes with playing in Sochi, Russia.
That being said, because the Olympics will involve the star players of every team, all 30 squads are basically in the same boat. That’s especially true when you keep in mind that those that don’t participate in the games will have to wait around for a couple weeks and potentially get rusty. So in the end, every player might be impacted to varying degrees.
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 17
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 30
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 32
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 (57)