Jan 4, 2014, 10:33 AM EDT
Bobby Ryan wasn’t just excluded from the United States’ Olympic roster, he was the subject of some scathing criticism during the selection process. In particular, Calgary Flames president Brian Burke’s suggestion that Ryan “can’t spell intense” left Ryan feeling “degraded.”
Team USA general manager David Poile has since apologized and pointed to a misunderstanding between USA Hockey and embedded reports Kevin Allenand Scott Burnside as the reason those comments became public. He also specified that the blame shouldn’t be placed on the USA Today and ESPN writers.
Despite the public back-and-forth, Ryan still hasn’t talked directly with anyone on Team USA executive committee, according to the Ottawa Citizen. He’s aware of Poile’s explanation though.
“I guess it’s a nice sentiment,” Ryan said. “To be honest, I would just like it to go away and let’s move forward now.”
This also hasn’t soured him to Team USA in general. If they were to ask him to join the team as an injury replacement, Ryan would say yes without a moment’s thought.
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 0
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 6
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 35
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)