Jan 4, 2014, 10:33 AM EDT
Bobby Ryan wasn’t just excluded from the United States’ Olympic roster, he was the subject of some scathing criticism during the selection process. In particular, Calgary Flames president Brian Burke’s suggestion that Ryan “can’t spell intense” left Ryan feeling “degraded.”
Team USA general manager David Poile has since apologized and pointed to a misunderstanding between USA Hockey and embedded reports Kevin Allenand Scott Burnside as the reason those comments became public. He also specified that the blame shouldn’t be placed on the USA Today and ESPN writers.
Despite the public back-and-forth, Ryan still hasn’t talked directly with anyone on Team USA executive committee, according to the Ottawa Citizen. He’s aware of Poile’s explanation though.
“I guess it’s a nice sentiment,” Ryan said. “To be honest, I would just like it to go away and let’s move forward now.”
This also hasn’t soured him to Team USA in general. If they were to ask him to join the team as an injury replacement, Ryan would say yes without a moment’s thought.
- Ryan agrees to seven-year, $50.75 million extension 2
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 37
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 10
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (37)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)
- Canucks waive Markstrom as Shinkaruk, Jensen continue to impress (23)
- Filip Forsberg has scored two thirds of the Preds’ preseason goals (21)