Jan 3, 2014, 7:16 PM EDT
Now that Jonathan Quick’s conditioning assignment with AHL Manchester has been deep-sixed due to travel/weather issues, it sounds like his next game will be at the NHL level — and possibly soon.
“I feel good,” Quick said following Friday’s practice, per LA Kings Insider. “I think the next step is to get some game action. I think that’d be the next step. So it’s up to the coaches, trainers to decide when they want me to take that step.”
Quick, who hasn’t played since getting hurt in Buffalo on Nov. 12, was traveling with the Kings on their recently-completed four-game road swing. The hope was to ship him off to Manchester for this weekend but, given the numerous winter storms in the eastern United States, those plans were dashed.
The Kings, losers of five straight, kick off a lengthy homestand starting Saturday against Vancouver. From there they host Minnesota, Boston, Detroit and Vancouver again, and it sounds as though Quick’s return will come during one of those games.
“I want to play a game,” Quick said. “So wherever they want me to play, I’ll play.”
The 27-year-old still needs to be activated from IR before he can suit up, at which time the Kings will send December co-Rookie of the Month Martin Jones back to the Monarchs. Once all that’s done, Quick will have roughly one month of action to get in shape for the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, where he will be one of the three American goalies along with Ryan Miller and Jimmy Howard.
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 0
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 0
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 12
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)