Jan 3, 2014, 7:16 PM EDT
Now that Jonathan Quick’s conditioning assignment with AHL Manchester has been deep-sixed due to travel/weather issues, it sounds like his next game will be at the NHL level — and possibly soon.
“I feel good,” Quick said following Friday’s practice, per LA Kings Insider. “I think the next step is to get some game action. I think that’d be the next step. So it’s up to the coaches, trainers to decide when they want me to take that step.”
Quick, who hasn’t played since getting hurt in Buffalo on Nov. 12, was traveling with the Kings on their recently-completed four-game road swing. The hope was to ship him off to Manchester for this weekend but, given the numerous winter storms in the eastern United States, those plans were dashed.
The Kings, losers of five straight, kick off a lengthy homestand starting Saturday against Vancouver. From there they host Minnesota, Boston, Detroit and Vancouver again, and it sounds as though Quick’s return will come during one of those games.
“I want to play a game,” Quick said. “So wherever they want me to play, I’ll play.”
The 27-year-old still needs to be activated from IR before he can suit up, at which time the Kings will send December co-Rookie of the Month Martin Jones back to the Monarchs. Once all that’s done, Quick will have roughly one month of action to get in shape for the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, where he will be one of the three American goalies along with Ryan Miller and Jimmy Howard.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)