Jan 3, 2014, 7:16 PM EST
Now that Jonathan Quick’s conditioning assignment with AHL Manchester has been deep-sixed due to travel/weather issues, it sounds like his next game will be at the NHL level — and possibly soon.
“I feel good,” Quick said following Friday’s practice, per LA Kings Insider. “I think the next step is to get some game action. I think that’d be the next step. So it’s up to the coaches, trainers to decide when they want me to take that step.”
Quick, who hasn’t played since getting hurt in Buffalo on Nov. 12, was traveling with the Kings on their recently-completed four-game road swing. The hope was to ship him off to Manchester for this weekend but, given the numerous winter storms in the eastern United States, those plans were dashed.
The Kings, losers of five straight, kick off a lengthy homestand starting Saturday against Vancouver. From there they host Minnesota, Boston, Detroit and Vancouver again, and it sounds as though Quick’s return will come during one of those games.
“I want to play a game,” Quick said. “So wherever they want me to play, I’ll play.”
The 27-year-old still needs to be activated from IR before he can suit up, at which time the Kings will send December co-Rookie of the Month Martin Jones back to the Monarchs. Once all that’s done, Quick will have roughly one month of action to get in shape for the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, where he will be one of the three American goalies along with Ryan Miller and Jimmy Howard.
- Mark Howe on his father’s health: ‘He’s back in the ballgame’ 3
- Holland: ‘I’m not against fighting’ 8
- Preds’ Neal fined for diving 22
- After surprising start, Flames sign Hartley to multi-year contract extension 5
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 11
- Video: Coyotes defeat Oilers with 0.3 seconds remaining in OT 3
- It’s ‘unlikely’ Duncan Keith has the mumps, says Blackhawks coach 3
- Bjugstad scores the winner as Panthers, Capitals make history with 20-round shootout 21
- Yep, Beau Bennett has the mumps 24
- (Video) PHT Extra: Would the Oilers really trade Taylor Hall? 11