Jan 3, 2014, 7:16 PM EST
Now that Jonathan Quick’s conditioning assignment with AHL Manchester has been deep-sixed due to travel/weather issues, it sounds like his next game will be at the NHL level — and possibly soon.
“I feel good,” Quick said following Friday’s practice, per LA Kings Insider. “I think the next step is to get some game action. I think that’d be the next step. So it’s up to the coaches, trainers to decide when they want me to take that step.”
Quick, who hasn’t played since getting hurt in Buffalo on Nov. 12, was traveling with the Kings on their recently-completed four-game road swing. The hope was to ship him off to Manchester for this weekend but, given the numerous winter storms in the eastern United States, those plans were dashed.
The Kings, losers of five straight, kick off a lengthy homestand starting Saturday against Vancouver. From there they host Minnesota, Boston, Detroit and Vancouver again, and it sounds as though Quick’s return will come during one of those games.
“I want to play a game,” Quick said. “So wherever they want me to play, I’ll play.”
The 27-year-old still needs to be activated from IR before he can suit up, at which time the Kings will send December co-Rookie of the Month Martin Jones back to the Monarchs. Once all that’s done, Quick will have roughly one month of action to get in shape for the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, where he will be one of the three American goalies along with Ryan Miller and Jimmy Howard.
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 1
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 14
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)