Jan 3, 2014, 12:32 PM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings have recalled defenseman Alexey Marchenko from AHL Grand Rapids, a move necessitated by a groin injury to Danny DeKeyser.
DeKeyser’s status is reportedly day-to-day. The 23-year-old blue-liner missed 15 games earlier this season due to a shoulder injury.
Here’s some info on Marchenko, from the press release:
Originally drafted by Detroit in the seventh round (205th overall) of the 2011 NHL Entry Draft, Marchenko has skated in 33 games with the Griffins this season, recording 16 points (2-14-16), six penalty minutes and a team-best plus-15 rating. The Moscow, Russia, native is in his first season in North America after spending parts of the last four seasons in the KHL. The 6-foot-2, 212-pound defenseman registered nine points (4-5-9) in 44 games with CSKA Moscow last season. In 82 career KHL games from 2009-13, he tallied 11 points (4-7-11) and 12 penalty minutes. The 22-year-old defenseman also racked up 78 points (18-60-78) for CSKA Moscow at Russia’s junior level, capturing a league championship in 2010-11.
The Red Wings kick off a tough five-game road trip Saturday in Dallas.
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 10
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 8
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 36
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)