Jan 3, 2014, 12:32 PM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings have recalled defenseman Alexey Marchenko from AHL Grand Rapids, a move necessitated by a groin injury to Danny DeKeyser.
DeKeyser’s status is reportedly day-to-day. The 23-year-old blue-liner missed 15 games earlier this season due to a shoulder injury.
Here’s some info on Marchenko, from the press release:
Originally drafted by Detroit in the seventh round (205th overall) of the 2011 NHL Entry Draft, Marchenko has skated in 33 games with the Griffins this season, recording 16 points (2-14-16), six penalty minutes and a team-best plus-15 rating. The Moscow, Russia, native is in his first season in North America after spending parts of the last four seasons in the KHL. The 6-foot-2, 212-pound defenseman registered nine points (4-5-9) in 44 games with CSKA Moscow last season. In 82 career KHL games from 2009-13, he tallied 11 points (4-7-11) and 12 penalty minutes. The 22-year-old defenseman also racked up 78 points (18-60-78) for CSKA Moscow at Russia’s junior level, capturing a league championship in 2010-11.
The Red Wings kick off a tough five-game road trip Saturday in Dallas.
- Discuss: Habs overcome three-goal deficit, beat Senators in overtime 9
- Canucks ready to face Luongo on Sunday 1
- West update: Stars blow lead yet still improve hold on wild card spot 4
- East update: Red Wings eke out shootout win for key points 0
- Luongo continues to foil Schneider as Panthers damage Devils’ playoff hopes 3
- TGIF: In which we salivate over potential playoff matchups 10
- Backstrom to receive silver medal, IOC says Sweden doctor ‘made a serious error’ 29
- Pens lose Neal to concussion 61
- Here are the top 10 and bottom 10 goalies in even-strength save percentage 22
- Weekend preview: Flyers-Pens rivalry renewed, Bruins look to stay hot 13
- Here are three ‘major changes’ the NHL should consider (98)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (74)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (62)
- Pens lose Neal to concussion (61)
- Video: Dryden on why hockey should ‘give up the fighting, but keep the fight’ (57)