Jan 3, 2014, 12:32 PM EST
The Detroit Red Wings have recalled defenseman Alexey Marchenko from AHL Grand Rapids, a move necessitated by a groin injury to Danny DeKeyser.
DeKeyser’s status is reportedly day-to-day. The 23-year-old blue-liner missed 15 games earlier this season due to a shoulder injury.
Here’s some info on Marchenko, from the press release:
Originally drafted by Detroit in the seventh round (205th overall) of the 2011 NHL Entry Draft, Marchenko has skated in 33 games with the Griffins this season, recording 16 points (2-14-16), six penalty minutes and a team-best plus-15 rating. The Moscow, Russia, native is in his first season in North America after spending parts of the last four seasons in the KHL. The 6-foot-2, 212-pound defenseman registered nine points (4-5-9) in 44 games with CSKA Moscow last season. In 82 career KHL games from 2009-13, he tallied 11 points (4-7-11) and 12 penalty minutes. The 22-year-old defenseman also racked up 78 points (18-60-78) for CSKA Moscow at Russia’s junior level, capturing a league championship in 2010-11.
The Red Wings kick off a tough five-game road trip Saturday in Dallas.
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 57
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 20
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 35
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 16
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 16
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 5
- NHL on NBCSN: Rangers, Canadiens seek edge as divisional battles intensify 2
- Struggling Kings complete the comeback against Blackhawks 12