Jan 3, 2014, 12:32 PM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings have recalled defenseman Alexey Marchenko from AHL Grand Rapids, a move necessitated by a groin injury to Danny DeKeyser.
DeKeyser’s status is reportedly day-to-day. The 23-year-old blue-liner missed 15 games earlier this season due to a shoulder injury.
Here’s some info on Marchenko, from the press release:
Originally drafted by Detroit in the seventh round (205th overall) of the 2011 NHL Entry Draft, Marchenko has skated in 33 games with the Griffins this season, recording 16 points (2-14-16), six penalty minutes and a team-best plus-15 rating. The Moscow, Russia, native is in his first season in North America after spending parts of the last four seasons in the KHL. The 6-foot-2, 212-pound defenseman registered nine points (4-5-9) in 44 games with CSKA Moscow last season. In 82 career KHL games from 2009-13, he tallied 11 points (4-7-11) and 12 penalty minutes. The 22-year-old defenseman also racked up 78 points (18-60-78) for CSKA Moscow at Russia’s junior level, capturing a league championship in 2010-11.
The Red Wings kick off a tough five-game road trip Saturday in Dallas.
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 48
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 28
- Crashing Lightning: Montreal crushes Tampa Bay, takes 2-0 series lead 3
- Quenneville gets $25,000 fine for ‘bush-league move’ 12
- NHL looking into Quenneville’s ‘grabby’ gesture from Game 1 40
- Getzlaf to play Game 2, looks awful 18
- Video: PHT Extra — can Detroit exploit Boston’s blueline? 13
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 16
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 61
- Blues prevail in longest game in franchise history as Steen scores in third OT 25