Jan 3, 2014, 10:03 PM EDT
Patrick Sharp continued to make his case to be on Canada’s Olympic hockey team.
The Chicago Blackhawks forward scored a hat trick – and all three goals were beauties – in his team’s 5-3 victory over the New Jersey Devils on Friday. Sharp is up to 25 goals on the season, with Friday marking the second time in the last five games that he’s recorded a hat trick.
On his first goal, he was all around the puck – first with a scoring chance in front of the New Jersey net, then he forced a turnover and a few seconds later the puck was back on his stick, then off it in a split second and in the net with a wicked wrist shot.
Hockey Canada’s Olympic brass will name the roster for Canada’s team in the men’s hockey competition on Jan. 7. Sharp’s play this season – not to mention his contributions to the Blackhawks dating back to 2005-06 – has to get him in consideration for a roster spot.
Jonathan Toews, part of the 2010 Canadian team that won gold who is expected to be at the 2014 Olympics as well, has already backed his teammate Sharp to make the cut for Sochi.
“He has shown everything he can do throughout his career, since the last Olympics, and throughout this season. I don’t think there are any holes in his game,” Toews recently told the Chicago Tribune.
May 4, 2015, 11:19 PM EDT
Washington needs its bottom-six forwards to keep contributing in order to go deep into the playoffs.
May 4, 2015, 10:28 PM EDT
It was his first shutout of the 2015 playoffs.
May 4, 2015, 9:40 PM EDT
It’s part of the leadup to the Detroit vs. Colorado outdoor game.
May 4, 2015, 9:04 PM EDT
Andre Burakovsky got his first career playoff point.
May 4, 2015, 8:23 PM EDT
“Without that, goaltending and team defense can only take you so far.”
May 4, 2015, 7:25 PM EDT
All three have won the Stanley Cup.
May 4, 2015, 6:56 PM EDT
Her husband faces domestic violence charges.
May 4, 2015, 6:12 PM EDT
The series is tied at 1-1.
May 4, 2015, 5:42 PM EDT
And they’ll gladly keep taking man advantage opportunities, too.
May 4, 2015, 4:24 PM EDT
“Coming out of junior, we had such high hopes for him.”
May 4, 2015, 4:09 PM EDT
Big news from the Devils.
May 4, 2015, 3:31 PM EDT
And Glen Sather isn’t sure he’ll ever permit it, either.
May 4, 2015, 3:10 PM EDT
“I have to get to the inside; that’s the biggest thing.”
May 4, 2015, 2:28 PM EDT
The Ducks have been deadly on the power play, unlike during the regular season.
May 4, 2015, 1:52 PM EDT
Youth-laden squad continues to impress.
May 4, 2015, 1:12 PM EDT
“If it means allowing players to go to free agency, if it means making players sweat it out on what their deal’s going to be, he’s the priority for us.”
May 4, 2015, 1:07 PM EDT
Virtanen was the sixth overall pick in the 2014 draft.
May 4, 2015, 12:49 PM EDT
Jets’ AHL team will play at the MTS Centre next season.
May 4, 2015, 12:34 PM EDT
He’s hoping to “find a way to get a bigger role.”
May 4, 2015, 11:37 AM EDT
“Prust has engaged himself in something that’s going to take him into an area where he doesn’t want to be part of.”
- Holtby outduels Lundqvist as Caps take series lead 31
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Capitals 3
- Red Wings’ Devellano calls Mantha ‘very, very, very disappointing’ 52
- End of an era in New Jersey as Shero replaces Lamoriello as GM 25
- Once again, Rick Nash isn’t scoring in the playoffs 24
- Video: U.S. stays unbeaten at Worlds with win over defending champs Russia 9
- Andersen shuts out Flames as Ducks stay perfect in playoffs 6
- Wild can’t contain ‘Hawks star forwards in Game 2 43
- Prust blasts referee Watson after getting tossed from Game 2 29
- Stamkos, power play comes alive as Lightning take 2-0 series lead vs. Habs 29
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)
- Babcock won’t discuss future yet, but sees challenges ahead for Wings (78)
- ‘You can’t win,’ ex-NHL ref Fraser says of Prust incident (77)