Jan 3, 2014, 10:03 PM EDT
Patrick Sharp continued to make his case to be on Canada’s Olympic hockey team.
The Chicago Blackhawks forward scored a hat trick – and all three goals were beauties – in his team’s 5-3 victory over the New Jersey Devils on Friday. Sharp is up to 25 goals on the season, with Friday marking the second time in the last five games that he’s recorded a hat trick.
On his first goal, he was all around the puck – first with a scoring chance in front of the New Jersey net, then he forced a turnover and a few seconds later the puck was back on his stick, then off it in a split second and in the net with a wicked wrist shot.
Hockey Canada’s Olympic brass will name the roster for Canada’s team in the men’s hockey competition on Jan. 7. Sharp’s play this season – not to mention his contributions to the Blackhawks dating back to 2005-06 – has to get him in consideration for a roster spot.
Jonathan Toews, part of the 2010 Canadian team that won gold who is expected to be at the 2014 Olympics as well, has already backed his teammate Sharp to make the cut for Sochi.
“He has shown everything he can do throughout his career, since the last Olympics, and throughout this season. I don’t think there are any holes in his game,” Toews recently told the Chicago Tribune.
Jul 23, 2014, 4:20 PM EDT
“We’ll see what happens. It’s a couple years away.”
Jul 23, 2014, 2:50 PM EDT
Jim Benning, making deals.
Jul 23, 2014, 1:45 PM EDT
“Any of the perceived animosity came from the outside.”
Jul 23, 2014, 12:57 PM EDT
His previously “yet-to-be-determined capacity” has been determined.
Jul 23, 2014, 12:41 PM EDT
“My style and build might be better against the bigger guys.”
Jul 23, 2014, 11:34 AM EDT
Won a couple of Stanley Cups with the Pittsburgh Penguins.
Jul 23, 2014, 10:48 AM EDT
Had seven goals with 21 assists last year for the Avs.
Jul 23, 2014, 10:23 AM EDT
The 23-year-old can now become an unrestricted free agent in the summer of 2016.
Jul 23, 2014, 9:56 AM EDT
Derick Brassard and John Moore to go.
Jul 23, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Barry Trotz continues Adam Oates’ alteration, at least for now.
Jul 23, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Wednesday’s delectable spread of links.
Jul 22, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
They locked him up to a four-year deal on Tuesday.
Jul 22, 2014, 10:15 PM EDT
He spent last season playing in Switzerland.
Jul 22, 2014, 9:01 PM EDT
The Cuban-American could help market the sport.
Jul 22, 2014, 7:38 PM EDT
Turning over a new leaf?
Jul 22, 2014, 6:13 PM EDT
That’s $1 million less than his reported asking price.
Jul 22, 2014, 5:15 PM EDT
It’s believed to be worth $2.55 million overall.
Jul 22, 2014, 3:52 PM EDT
Another buy-low bargain like Mason Raymond?
Jul 22, 2014, 2:30 PM EDT
Jul 22, 2014, 1:42 PM EDT
Also went to bat for Jumbo Joe.
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 0
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 26
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 28
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 40
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 68
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 53
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (68)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)