Jan 3, 2014, 10:03 PM EDT
Patrick Sharp continued to make his case to be on Canada’s Olympic hockey team.
The Chicago Blackhawks forward scored a hat trick – and all three goals were beauties – in his team’s 5-3 victory over the New Jersey Devils on Friday. Sharp is up to 25 goals on the season, with Friday marking the second time in the last five games that he’s recorded a hat trick.
On his first goal, he was all around the puck – first with a scoring chance in front of the New Jersey net, then he forced a turnover and a few seconds later the puck was back on his stick, then off it in a split second and in the net with a wicked wrist shot.
Hockey Canada’s Olympic brass will name the roster for Canada’s team in the men’s hockey competition on Jan. 7. Sharp’s play this season – not to mention his contributions to the Blackhawks dating back to 2005-06 – has to get him in consideration for a roster spot.
Jonathan Toews, part of the 2010 Canadian team that won gold who is expected to be at the 2014 Olympics as well, has already backed his teammate Sharp to make the cut for Sochi.
“He has shown everything he can do throughout his career, since the last Olympics, and throughout this season. I don’t think there are any holes in his game,” Toews recently told the Chicago Tribune.
Oct 30, 2014, 12:52 PM EDT
“So we need to get better or things are going to change around here probably sooner rather than later.”
Oct 30, 2014, 12:32 PM EDT
We should find out after tonight’s game.
Oct 30, 2014, 12:13 PM EDT
Winnipeg’s won three of its last four.
Oct 30, 2014, 12:02 PM EDT
He appeared in 36 games last year.
Oct 30, 2014, 11:51 AM EDT
If you’re curious what a buyout would cost the Wings, click on the post.
Oct 30, 2014, 10:45 AM EDT
Wild still suffering from Monday’s loss to the Rangers.
Oct 30, 2014, 10:29 AM EDT
After playing a man short on Tuesday in Philly.
Oct 30, 2014, 9:52 AM EDT
Some good news for Edmonton on the injury front.
Oct 30, 2014, 8:55 AM EDT
If he could get going, Dallas wouldn’t be as reliant on its top line.
Oct 30, 2014, 8:01 AM EDT
The numbers are even more striking when you compare Oct. 2014 to Oct. 2003
Oct 30, 2014, 12:56 AM EDT
Nashville continues its strong start to 2014-15.
Oct 29, 2014, 11:50 PM EDT
He sat out the third period for Grand Rapids because of soreness.
Oct 29, 2014, 11:21 PM EDT
Interesting discussion between Bob McKenzie and Mike Milbury.
Oct 29, 2014, 10:45 PM EDT
Some controversial calls on a light Wednesday night.
Oct 29, 2014, 10:19 PM EDT
Detroit’s big guns came through.
Oct 29, 2014, 9:39 PM EDT
Oct 29, 2014, 8:53 PM EDT
Gustav Nyquist got that 1-0 lead back.
Oct 29, 2014, 8:06 PM EDT
Oct 29, 2014, 7:33 PM EDT
“No news is bad news” for the veteran forward.
Oct 29, 2014, 7:14 PM EDT
Also: a fun story from Mike Milbury’s playing days.
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 7
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 4
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Nolan skates Sabres, says the time for ‘taking it easy is over’ 37
- Report: Gryba, Tropp avoid punishment after getting tossed for hits 6
- What they’re saying about the Sabres (and it’s not good) 22
- NHL on NBCSN: Caps, Red Wings battle after hotly contested 13-14 series 5
- Miller wins 300th, Canes finish Oct. without single victory 7
- Video: Backes crashes into Daley, falls to ice hard (Updated) 5
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (61)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)