Jan 3, 2014, 11:02 PM EST
Click on the ‘League Leaders’ link of the NHL statistics online page, and you’ll see Ben Bishop of the Tampa Bay Lightning near the top of most major categories for goalies.
That includes wins (Bishop is third among all NHL goalies with 21); shutouts (he’s in an eight-way tie for second with three); save percentage (he’s second at .935); and goals-against average (he’s fourth with 1.89).
But he’ll have to wait for another chance to play for the U.S. in men’s hockey at the Olympics.
Bishop was left off the U.S. Olympic hockey team, with the roster being announced Wednesday following the 2014 Winter Classic.
Those tasked with selecting the team went with Jimmy Howard, Ryan Miller and Jonathan Quick as its three goalies for Sochi. If nothing else, Bishop got himself into the conversation, given the standout season he is having with the Lightning.
“As much as I wish I was on that team, you can understand why they went with those guys. They had a tough decision, and I tried to make it as hard as I could on them,” Bishop told the Tampa Bay Tribune.
“I probably wasn’t even on much of their radar at the beginning of the season, and it came down to the last guy between Howard and I, so they went with the guy that has a little more experience. And with that being said, some guys are still hurt, you never now what is going to happen.”
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 42
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 7
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 20
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 35
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 16
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 16
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 5
- NHL on NBCSN: Rangers, Canadiens seek edge as divisional battles intensify 2
- Struggling Kings complete the comeback against Blackhawks 11