Jan 3, 2014, 12:17 PM EDT
Zenon Konopka is on his way to Buffalo.
The veteran tough guy — put on waivers yesterday by Minnesota — has been claimed by the Sabres, according to the Wild. The pickup comes just a month after Buffalo added another NHL vet via waivers, claiming Matt D’Agostini from Pittsburgh.
Konopka, 33, has two points and 55 penalty minutes in 36 games this season. Something of a late bloomer — he didn’t establish himself in the NHL until he was 29 years old — Konopka has carved a niche as a tough guy and willing fighter, but also one that excels in faceoffs (boasting a 65.7 winning percentage this year.)
He’s in the last of a two-year, $1.85 million contract and carries a $925,000 cap hit. He’ll join an already feisty Sabres team that includes the likes of Cody McCormick (leads the team with seven fights, but is out 4-6 weeks), Marcus Foligno (five fights), Steve Ott (three) and noted heavyweight John Scott.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 10
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 4
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 33
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)