Jan 3, 2014, 12:17 PM EST
Zenon Konopka is on his way to Buffalo.
The veteran tough guy — put on waivers yesterday by Minnesota — has been claimed by the Sabres, according to the Wild. The pickup comes just a month after Buffalo added another NHL vet via waivers, claiming Matt D’Agostini from Pittsburgh.
Konopka, 33, has two points and 55 penalty minutes in 36 games this season. Something of a late bloomer — he didn’t establish himself in the NHL until he was 29 years old — Konopka has carved a niche as a tough guy and willing fighter, but also one that excels in faceoffs (boasting a 65.7 winning percentage this year.)
He’s in the last of a two-year, $1.85 million contract and carries a $925,000 cap hit. He’ll join an already feisty Sabres team that includes the likes of Cody McCormick (leads the team with seven fights, but is out 4-6 weeks), Marcus Foligno (five fights), Steve Ott (three) and noted heavyweight John Scott.
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 18
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 48
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 0
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 4
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 39
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)
- The plummeting Coyotes are threatening to fall below the Oilers into 29th place (55)