Jan 3, 2014, 12:17 PM EDT
Zenon Konopka is on his way to Buffalo.
The veteran tough guy — put on waivers yesterday by Minnesota — has been claimed by the Sabres, according to the Wild. The pickup comes just a month after Buffalo added another NHL vet via waivers, claiming Matt D’Agostini from Pittsburgh.
Konopka, 33, has two points and 55 penalty minutes in 36 games this season. Something of a late bloomer — he didn’t establish himself in the NHL until he was 29 years old — Konopka has carved a niche as a tough guy and willing fighter, but also one that excels in faceoffs (boasting a 65.7 winning percentage this year.)
He’s in the last of a two-year, $1.85 million contract and carries a $925,000 cap hit. He’ll join an already feisty Sabres team that includes the likes of Cody McCormick (leads the team with seven fights, but is out 4-6 weeks), Marcus Foligno (five fights), Steve Ott (three) and noted heavyweight John Scott.
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 4
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Report: Dal Colle signs with Islanders (Updated) 1
- Bridge built: Blues lock up Schwartz to two-year deal reportedly worth $4.7M 12
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys (28)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)