Jan 3, 2014, 1:39 AM EDT
The losses keep coming for the Edmonton Oilers.
The latest came Thursday, as they were thumped 5-1 by a San Jose Sharks team that had been recently ripped publicly by head coach Todd McLellan. That’s now three straight losses for the Oilers, although they got the single point in back-to-back defeats to Phoenix to end December, who continue to occupy space at the bottom of the Pacific Division.
Devan Dubnyk took the loss, allowing five goals on 36 shots faced. The Sharks took control on the score board late in the first period, on goals from Brent Burns and Patrick Marleau 49 seconds apart to give San Jose a 2-0 lead.
Bracken Kearns, the 32-year-old minor league journeyman who only broke into the NHL in the 2011-12 season, scored again for San Jose. He now has three goals – including his first in the NHL back on Dec. 29 – in his last three games.
A tough night for Edmonton’s goalie once again. A difficult night for the team in front of him. It isn’t getting any better for Oilers fans.
“We were playing fine until the second goal. It was laid on a platter along the wall. Big problem,” said head coach Dallas Eakins afterward, as per the Oilers’ Twitter account.
“We have to step away from this whole idea that ‘we’re skilled, we’re skilled, we’re skilled.’ We have to defend first,” he added.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 44
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 63
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 27
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (63)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)