Jan 3, 2014, 1:39 AM EDT
The losses keep coming for the Edmonton Oilers.
The latest came Thursday, as they were thumped 5-1 by a San Jose Sharks team that had been recently ripped publicly by head coach Todd McLellan. That’s now three straight losses for the Oilers, although they got the single point in back-to-back defeats to Phoenix to end December, who continue to occupy space at the bottom of the Pacific Division.
Devan Dubnyk took the loss, allowing five goals on 36 shots faced. The Sharks took control on the score board late in the first period, on goals from Brent Burns and Patrick Marleau 49 seconds apart to give San Jose a 2-0 lead.
Bracken Kearns, the 32-year-old minor league journeyman who only broke into the NHL in the 2011-12 season, scored again for San Jose. He now has three goals – including his first in the NHL back on Dec. 29 – in his last three games.
A tough night for Edmonton’s goalie once again. A difficult night for the team in front of him. It isn’t getting any better for Oilers fans.
“We were playing fine until the second goal. It was laid on a platter along the wall. Big problem,” said head coach Dallas Eakins afterward, as per the Oilers’ Twitter account.
“We have to step away from this whole idea that ‘we’re skilled, we’re skilled, we’re skilled.’ We have to defend first,” he added.
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 20
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 23
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 8
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 28
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 80
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 52
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)