Jan 3, 2014, 12:01 PM EDT
Former Detroit captains Steve Yzerman and Nicklas Lidstrom headline the list of five players that will be inducted into the International Ice Hockey Federation’s 2014 class, the organization announced on Friday.
Yzerman, Lidstrom, the late Ruslan Salei (another former Red Wing), Vyacheslav Bykov and Andrei Khomutov will all be enshrined in May during the World Championships in Belarus, along with one entrant in the builder’s category — Murray Costello, who won the Wayne Gretzky International Award during last year’s U.S. Hockey Hall of Fame induction ceremony.
Yzerman and Lidstrom’s NHL exploits are well known, but both starred on the international stage as well. Yzerman represented Canada at the World Juniors, Canada Cup, World Championships, World Cup and Winter Olympics, capturing two golds, three silvers and a bronze medal.
Lidstrom appeared in numerous tournaments for Sweden and won a pair of gold medals — at the World Juniors in 1991, and the Winter Olympics in 2006.
Salei, a longtime participant for Belarus’ National team, died in the tragic Lokomotiv Yaroslavl plane crash of 2011. He has since been inducted into the Belasurian Hockey Hall of Fame and his No. 24 has been retired by the Belarusian Ice Hockey Association for international competition.
Bykov and Khomutov were stars of the former Soviet Union teams in the 80s and 90s. Bykov captained the team to five World Championships and a pair of Olympic gold medals in 1988 and ’92, starring as a center on a line with Khomutov as his winger.
Bykov would later go on to coach the Russians at the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver. Khomutov, who actually won three Olympic golds — he captured one in ’84 at the Sarajevo games — also went on to coach internationally, including a stint as Kazakhstan’s bench boss.
Jul 28, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
25-year-old didn’t file for arbitration, hoping instead to sign a long-term contract.
Jul 28, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
In the form of a cool $100,000.
Jul 27, 2015, 9:29 PM EDT
But are any teams mulling his return?
Jul 27, 2015, 8:21 PM EDT
Where he’ll work as a community liaison.
Jul 27, 2015, 7:22 PM EDT
“I want to go free.”
Jul 27, 2015, 6:21 PM EDT
24-year-old forward would require waivers to be sent down…
Jul 27, 2015, 5:22 PM EDT
“I’ll have to start thinking about it more and more in the next couple of weeks.”
Jul 27, 2015, 4:28 PM EDT
Hence the six-year, $39 million contract.
Jul 27, 2015, 3:26 PM EDT
Looking to become a full-time NHLer after suffering a series of injuries at the start his pro career.
Jul 27, 2015, 2:22 PM EDT
The alignment debate rages on.
Jul 27, 2015, 1:27 PM EDT
Russ Brandon takes over.
Jul 27, 2015, 12:49 PM EDT
Click to see the full list.
Jul 27, 2015, 12:17 PM EDT
Click to see who’s still left.
Jul 27, 2015, 10:49 AM EDT
Hearing scheduled for Wednesday.
Jul 27, 2015, 10:19 AM EDT
No arbitrator required.
Jul 27, 2015, 10:00 AM EDT
He calls it the six-year, $25 million contract “good for both sides.”
Jul 27, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
Monday’s collection of links.
Jul 26, 2015, 11:02 PM EDT
The only certainty is short-term.
Jul 26, 2015, 9:57 PM EDT
Playing between Gabriel Landeskog and Nathan MacKinnon would excite plenty of people.
Jul 26, 2015, 8:50 PM EDT
Holdovers are noticing a summer of improvements for Buffalo.
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 55
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 3
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Redemption time? Montreal, Semin agree to one-year deal 26
- Full autonomy: Lamoriello’s place in Leafs’ chain of command 26
- Lamoriello’s departure removes any doubt: Devils are Shero’s team 21
- With Lamoriello hire, Leafs hammer home their culture change 23
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Ah, arbitration: Holtby reportedly asking for $8 million, Caps countering at $5.1 million (59)