Jan 3, 2014, 12:01 PM EDT
Former Detroit captains Steve Yzerman and Nicklas Lidstrom headline the list of five players that will be inducted into the International Ice Hockey Federation’s 2014 class, the organization announced on Friday.
Yzerman, Lidstrom, the late Ruslan Salei (another former Red Wing), Vyacheslav Bykov and Andrei Khomutov will all be enshrined in May during the World Championships in Belarus, along with one entrant in the builder’s category — Murray Costello, who won the Wayne Gretzky International Award during last year’s U.S. Hockey Hall of Fame induction ceremony.
Yzerman and Lidstrom’s NHL exploits are well known, but both starred on the international stage as well. Yzerman represented Canada at the World Juniors, Canada Cup, World Championships, World Cup and Winter Olympics, capturing two golds, three silvers and a bronze medal.
Lidstrom appeared in numerous tournaments for Sweden and won a pair of gold medals — at the World Juniors in 1991, and the Winter Olympics in 2006.
Salei, a longtime participant for Belarus’ National team, died in the tragic Lokomotiv Yaroslavl plane crash of 2011. He has since been inducted into the Belasurian Hockey Hall of Fame and his No. 24 has been retired by the Belarusian Ice Hockey Association for international competition.
Bykov and Khomutov were stars of the former Soviet Union teams in the 80s and 90s. Bykov captained the team to five World Championships and a pair of Olympic gold medals in 1988 and ’92, starring as a center on a line with Khomutov as his winger.
Bykov would later go on to coach the Russians at the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver. Khomutov, who actually won three Olympic golds — he captured one in ’84 at the Sarajevo games — also went on to coach internationally, including a stint as Kazakhstan’s bench boss.
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 8
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 25
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 5
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 2
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 41
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 35
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 7
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 13
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6