Jan 3, 2014, 11:38 PM EDT
The Pittsburgh Penguins won on home ice again, making it 11 straight victories for them at the Consol Energy Center.
The Penguins jumped out to a 4-0 lead – one of those goals was a beauty backhander off the stick of star Sidney Crosby – over the visiting New York Rangers and then cruised to a 5-2 victory to continue their run of domination on home ice and in the Metropolitan Division.
The Penguins have reached 30 wins and are a whopping 15 points up on the second-place Washington Capitals in that division. Oh, but the Capitals have two games in hand. So, there’s that.
“We obviously got a big start there. That set the tone for the rest of the game,” Crosby told NHL.com.
“[Marc-Andre Fleury] was good. There were a lot of shots, but he found a way to keep the puck out of the net for the most part and we capitalized on the chances we got.”
And Chris Kunitz continued his run of strong play, which could land him on the Canada’s Olympic team roster, which will be announced on Jan. 7.
Kunitz, who has developed impeccable chemistry with Crosby, a lock for Canada’s team in Sochi, scored twice and added an assist. He has 23 goals on the season.
He helped set up Crosby on his goal, and Crosby set up Kunitz twice. It’s a small sample size, but furthers the point of why Hockey Canada’s Olympic management team might consider bringing Kunitz to Russia in February to play alongside Crosby.
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 5
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 9
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 12
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)