Jan 3, 2014, 4:55 PM EDT
The NHL announced its rookie of the month for December today and…there’s a tie!
Los Angeles Kings goaltender Martin Jones, who posted an 8-2-0 record with a 1.29 goals-against average, .955 save percentage and three shutouts in 10 games, and Chicago Blackhawks goaltender Antti Raanta, who compiled an 8-1-3 record with a 2.23 goals-against average, .912 save percentage and one shutout in 12 appearances, have been named the NHL Co-Rookies of the Month for December.
In a related story, Jones and Raanta also shared the monthly award for Best Rookie Goalie Being Forced Into Action Due To An Injury To His Team’s Stanley Cup-Winning Goalie.
PS — No disrespect to Raanta, but Jones deserved the solo nod here. That’s a huge difference in save percentage.
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 11
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 14
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 33
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25