Jan 3, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT
Shortly after Colorado traded Steve Downie to Philly in early November, reports claimed the deal happened because of a preseason altercation between Downie and the club’s young captain, Gabriel Landeskog.
When asked about the situation — the Avs and Flyers met Thursday for the first time since the trade — Downie said the entire thing was blown out of proportion.
“I think it was [overblown],” Downie said, per Philly.com. “I don’t make the trades. I really can’t comment on it. Writers are going to write what they want. I never saw anyone quoted or anything.
“You’d have to ask [the Avalanche]. I’d say me and Landy had a great relationship.”
In a November interview with Sportsnet’s FAN 960 Calgary, CBC’s Elliotte Friedman talked about the incident and subsequent move.
“Obviously, people thought it was a weird trade,” Friedman explained. “You rarely see a first-rounder [Downie] get traded for a guy who — while a useful player — is now pretty much a fourth-liner [Max Talbot].
“During training camp, Downie got angry at Landeskog for a trip during a scrimmage, and he drilled [Landeskog]. I was just told that from that day, considering Downie was a bit unrepentant about it, I just heard the Avalanche decided they were going to make the change at that time.
“Basically the Avalanche decided that when that happened, and Downie was unapologetic about it, the time was going to come when he was going to get dealt.”
The spat did warrant mentioned in the Denver Post on Sept. 14, and the Post’s Adrian Dater subsequently posted an interview with Landeskog in which Landeskog, the NHL’s youngest captain, shrugged off the incident.
Despite that, he whispers of discord between he and Downie remained until the latter was traded.
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 28
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 23
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 36
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 20
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 53
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (68)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)