Jan 3, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT
Shortly after Colorado traded Steve Downie to Philly in early November, reports claimed the deal happened because of a preseason altercation between Downie and the club’s young captain, Gabriel Landeskog.
When asked about the situation — the Avs and Flyers met Thursday for the first time since the trade — Downie said the entire thing was blown out of proportion.
“I think it was [overblown],” Downie said, per Philly.com. “I don’t make the trades. I really can’t comment on it. Writers are going to write what they want. I never saw anyone quoted or anything.
“You’d have to ask [the Avalanche]. I’d say me and Landy had a great relationship.”
In a November interview with Sportsnet’s FAN 960 Calgary, CBC’s Elliotte Friedman talked about the incident and subsequent move.
“Obviously, people thought it was a weird trade,” Friedman explained. “You rarely see a first-rounder [Downie] get traded for a guy who — while a useful player — is now pretty much a fourth-liner [Max Talbot].
“During training camp, Downie got angry at Landeskog for a trip during a scrimmage, and he drilled [Landeskog]. I was just told that from that day, considering Downie was a bit unrepentant about it, I just heard the Avalanche decided they were going to make the change at that time.
“Basically the Avalanche decided that when that happened, and Downie was unapologetic about it, the time was going to come when he was going to get dealt.”
The spat did warrant mentioned in the Denver Post on Sept. 14, and the Post’s Adrian Dater subsequently posted an interview with Landeskog in which Landeskog, the NHL’s youngest captain, shrugged off the incident.
Despite that, he whispers of discord between he and Downie remained until the latter was traded.
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 11
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 4
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 12
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 28
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)