Jan 3, 2014, 1:18 PM EST
Mattias Tedenby’s tenure in New Jersey has hit a low point.
Tedenby, the club’s first-round pick (24th overall) at the 2008 NHL Entry Draft, has been placed on non-roster waivers in the hopes of sending him to AHL Albany, Devils GM Lou Lamoriello told NorthJersey.com:
Placing Tedenby on non-roster waivers allows the Devils to activate left wing Ryan Carter for tonight’s game against Chicago. Carter has been out since Nov. 30 with a right knee injury.
If the Devils had placed Tedenby, 23, on regular waivers, they would have had to wait until noon Saturday before activating Carter.
“The only thing it means is it allows us to activate a player today,” Lamoriello said. “What the non-roster waivers means, is if an injured player becomes available prior to a roster spot being available you can make (a spot) available by putting it as a non-roster (move). And what that means is he would go to the minors if he clears waivers. (Tedenby) would go down because Carter is healthy.”
Lamoriello said he wants Tedenby to go to Albany “and be the best player, and then what he does is he forces himself to get into the lineup.” Tedenby would have to clear waivers to get there, though, as teams have until noon Saturday to claim him.
Taken two spots behind Jordan Eberle at the ’08 Draft, Tedenby has failed to make much of an impact in New Jersey following a solid rookie campaign, in which he scored eight goals and 22 points in 58 games.
He appeared in just four games during the lockout-shortened ’13 campaign and has played just 15 games this year, scoring one goal (no assists) while posting a minus-8 rating. NorthJersey.com notes Tedenby has “failed to earn the confidence” of head coach Peter DeBoer.
Tedenby is on a one-year, $600,000 deal with the Devils. He was sent to Albany earlier this season on a conditional loan and performed well, scoring three goals in two games.
- Price leads Habs past Caps with second straight shutout 2
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 5
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 24
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 60
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 20
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 36
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 16
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 16