Jan 3, 2014, 1:18 PM EDT
Mattias Tedenby’s tenure in New Jersey has hit a low point.
Tedenby, the club’s first-round pick (24th overall) at the 2008 NHL Entry Draft, has been placed on non-roster waivers in the hopes of sending him to AHL Albany, Devils GM Lou Lamoriello told NorthJersey.com:
Placing Tedenby on non-roster waivers allows the Devils to activate left wing Ryan Carter for tonight’s game against Chicago. Carter has been out since Nov. 30 with a right knee injury.
If the Devils had placed Tedenby, 23, on regular waivers, they would have had to wait until noon Saturday before activating Carter.
“The only thing it means is it allows us to activate a player today,” Lamoriello said. “What the non-roster waivers means, is if an injured player becomes available prior to a roster spot being available you can make (a spot) available by putting it as a non-roster (move). And what that means is he would go to the minors if he clears waivers. (Tedenby) would go down because Carter is healthy.”
Lamoriello said he wants Tedenby to go to Albany “and be the best player, and then what he does is he forces himself to get into the lineup.” Tedenby would have to clear waivers to get there, though, as teams have until noon Saturday to claim him.
Taken two spots behind Jordan Eberle at the ’08 Draft, Tedenby has failed to make much of an impact in New Jersey following a solid rookie campaign, in which he scored eight goals and 22 points in 58 games.
He appeared in just four games during the lockout-shortened ’13 campaign and has played just 15 games this year, scoring one goal (no assists) while posting a minus-8 rating. NorthJersey.com notes Tedenby has “failed to earn the confidence” of head coach Peter DeBoer.
Tedenby is on a one-year, $600,000 deal with the Devils. He was sent to Albany earlier this season on a conditional loan and performed well, scoring three goals in two games.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 0
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 31
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 43
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)