Jan 3, 2014, 1:18 PM EDT
Mattias Tedenby’s tenure in New Jersey has hit a low point.
Tedenby, the club’s first-round pick (24th overall) at the 2008 NHL Entry Draft, has been placed on non-roster waivers in the hopes of sending him to AHL Albany, Devils GM Lou Lamoriello told NorthJersey.com:
Placing Tedenby on non-roster waivers allows the Devils to activate left wing Ryan Carter for tonight’s game against Chicago. Carter has been out since Nov. 30 with a right knee injury.
If the Devils had placed Tedenby, 23, on regular waivers, they would have had to wait until noon Saturday before activating Carter.
“The only thing it means is it allows us to activate a player today,” Lamoriello said. “What the non-roster waivers means, is if an injured player becomes available prior to a roster spot being available you can make (a spot) available by putting it as a non-roster (move). And what that means is he would go to the minors if he clears waivers. (Tedenby) would go down because Carter is healthy.”
Lamoriello said he wants Tedenby to go to Albany “and be the best player, and then what he does is he forces himself to get into the lineup.” Tedenby would have to clear waivers to get there, though, as teams have until noon Saturday to claim him.
Taken two spots behind Jordan Eberle at the ’08 Draft, Tedenby has failed to make much of an impact in New Jersey following a solid rookie campaign, in which he scored eight goals and 22 points in 58 games.
He appeared in just four games during the lockout-shortened ’13 campaign and has played just 15 games this year, scoring one goal (no assists) while posting a minus-8 rating. NorthJersey.com notes Tedenby has “failed to earn the confidence” of head coach Peter DeBoer.
Tedenby is on a one-year, $600,000 deal with the Devils. He was sent to Albany earlier this season on a conditional loan and performed well, scoring three goals in two games.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 11
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)