Jan 3, 2014, 1:18 PM EST
Mattias Tedenby’s tenure in New Jersey has hit a low point.
Tedenby, the club’s first-round pick (24th overall) at the 2008 NHL Entry Draft, has been placed on non-roster waivers in the hopes of sending him to AHL Albany, Devils GM Lou Lamoriello told NorthJersey.com:
Placing Tedenby on non-roster waivers allows the Devils to activate left wing Ryan Carter for tonight’s game against Chicago. Carter has been out since Nov. 30 with a right knee injury.
If the Devils had placed Tedenby, 23, on regular waivers, they would have had to wait until noon Saturday before activating Carter.
“The only thing it means is it allows us to activate a player today,” Lamoriello said. “What the non-roster waivers means, is if an injured player becomes available prior to a roster spot being available you can make (a spot) available by putting it as a non-roster (move). And what that means is he would go to the minors if he clears waivers. (Tedenby) would go down because Carter is healthy.”
Lamoriello said he wants Tedenby to go to Albany “and be the best player, and then what he does is he forces himself to get into the lineup.” Tedenby would have to clear waivers to get there, though, as teams have until noon Saturday to claim him.
Taken two spots behind Jordan Eberle at the ’08 Draft, Tedenby has failed to make much of an impact in New Jersey following a solid rookie campaign, in which he scored eight goals and 22 points in 58 games.
He appeared in just four games during the lockout-shortened ’13 campaign and has played just 15 games this year, scoring one goal (no assists) while posting a minus-8 rating. NorthJersey.com notes Tedenby has “failed to earn the confidence” of head coach Peter DeBoer.
Tedenby is on a one-year, $600,000 deal with the Devils. He was sent to Albany earlier this season on a conditional loan and performed well, scoring three goals in two games.
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 4
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 4
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 1
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 2
- Devils fire DeBoer 20
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 4
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 18
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)