Jan 3, 2014, 1:18 PM EDT
Mattias Tedenby’s tenure in New Jersey has hit a low point.
Tedenby, the club’s first-round pick (24th overall) at the 2008 NHL Entry Draft, has been placed on non-roster waivers in the hopes of sending him to AHL Albany, Devils GM Lou Lamoriello told NorthJersey.com:
Placing Tedenby on non-roster waivers allows the Devils to activate left wing Ryan Carter for tonight’s game against Chicago. Carter has been out since Nov. 30 with a right knee injury.
If the Devils had placed Tedenby, 23, on regular waivers, they would have had to wait until noon Saturday before activating Carter.
“The only thing it means is it allows us to activate a player today,” Lamoriello said. “What the non-roster waivers means, is if an injured player becomes available prior to a roster spot being available you can make (a spot) available by putting it as a non-roster (move). And what that means is he would go to the minors if he clears waivers. (Tedenby) would go down because Carter is healthy.”
Lamoriello said he wants Tedenby to go to Albany “and be the best player, and then what he does is he forces himself to get into the lineup.” Tedenby would have to clear waivers to get there, though, as teams have until noon Saturday to claim him.
Taken two spots behind Jordan Eberle at the ’08 Draft, Tedenby has failed to make much of an impact in New Jersey following a solid rookie campaign, in which he scored eight goals and 22 points in 58 games.
He appeared in just four games during the lockout-shortened ’13 campaign and has played just 15 games this year, scoring one goal (no assists) while posting a minus-8 rating. NorthJersey.com notes Tedenby has “failed to earn the confidence” of head coach Peter DeBoer.
Tedenby is on a one-year, $600,000 deal with the Devils. He was sent to Albany earlier this season on a conditional loan and performed well, scoring three goals in two games.
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 1
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 10
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 16
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 39
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 17
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 6
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ (49)