Jan 3, 2014, 1:33 PM EDT
In the 2002 Winter Olympics, Martin Brodeur replaced Curtis Joseph as Team Canada’s starting goalie and helped his country win its first gold medal in half a century.
Eight years later, it was Brodeur who was supplanted by Roberto Luongo during the tournament, and Canada once went on to win gold on home ice in Vancouver.
So, what does Brodeur think should happen in 2014?
“I think when you win the gold medal, you deserve the chance to defend it until someone takes you down,” he said today, per The Record’s Tom Gulitti.
Once Team Canada’s roster is announced on Tuesday, this is likely to be the biggest debate heading into the Sochi Games, at least as far as Canada is concerned. Neither goalie comes without baggage, and each has had his play in pressure situations questioned.
Brodeur’s argument that it should be Luongo’s job to lose could be countered with the fact that Price’s numbers this season are better (.928 save percentage to Luongo’s .920).
If we had to guess right now, head coach Mike Babcock will go with Luongo. But we reserve the right to change our guess before Feb. 13, when Canada opens the tourney versus Norway.
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 19
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 30
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 26
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)