Jan 3, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
The St. Louis Blues can never seem to escape questions about their goaltending.
Following their 5-0 blowout win against the Los Angeles Kings, the Blues sent down goalie Jake Allen. He was initially called up because Jaroslav Halak wasn’t feeling well and Brian Elliott needed a backup.
As Jeremy Rutherford of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch shares, Halak still isn’t feeling well.
“We just told Jaro it’s best to stay at home right now for a day or two until you feel cleared up,” Blues coach Ken Hitchcock said. “It comes and goes. He feels good for a couple of hours and then he doesn’t feel good. He’s at 70 percent — it’s not good enough to play and it’s not getting any better, so a couple of days away I think will really help him.”
In that case, Allen shouldn’t get too cozy back in Chicago with his AHL team as the Blues will play next on Saturday at home against Columbus.
Going through this rotation of goalies has been something they’ve had to do the past few seasons in St. Louis. While it used to be Ben Bishop who did the bus riding from the minors to the pros and back, now it’s Allen.
You’d have to imagine going through this routinely isn’t too high on Hitchcock’s list of things he enjoys while coaching a Stanley Cup contender.
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 32
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 9
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (32)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)
- Canucks waive Markstrom as Shinkaruk, Jensen continue to impress (23)
- Filip Forsberg has scored two thirds of the Preds’ preseason goals (21)