Jan 3, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
The St. Louis Blues can never seem to escape questions about their goaltending.
Following their 5-0 blowout win against the Los Angeles Kings, the Blues sent down goalie Jake Allen. He was initially called up because Jaroslav Halak wasn’t feeling well and Brian Elliott needed a backup.
As Jeremy Rutherford of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch shares, Halak still isn’t feeling well.
“We just told Jaro it’s best to stay at home right now for a day or two until you feel cleared up,” Blues coach Ken Hitchcock said. “It comes and goes. He feels good for a couple of hours and then he doesn’t feel good. He’s at 70 percent — it’s not good enough to play and it’s not getting any better, so a couple of days away I think will really help him.”
In that case, Allen shouldn’t get too cozy back in Chicago with his AHL team as the Blues will play next on Saturday at home against Columbus.
Going through this rotation of goalies has been something they’ve had to do the past few seasons in St. Louis. While it used to be Ben Bishop who did the bus riding from the minors to the pros and back, now it’s Allen.
You’d have to imagine going through this routinely isn’t too high on Hitchcock’s list of things he enjoys while coaching a Stanley Cup contender.
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 4
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 35
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 10
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 25
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 17
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 25
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 45
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 39
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)