Jan 3, 2014, 11:34 AM EST
Flyers head coach Craig Berube won’t be lobbying for supplemental discipline on the hit that sidelined Michael Raffl.
Raffl, who suffered a concussion on a hit from Colorado captain Gabriel Landeskog last night, is out indefinitely — but that didn’t change Berbube’s opinion of the play.
“It’s fine. It’s not a penalty,” Berube said. “Kind of a tough play. He’s against the glass already and the guy just hit him — it’s a tough play.”
Here’s the hit in question:
Landeskog wasn’t penalized on the play, though the Philadelphia Daily News thought a call from the NHL’s Department of Player Safety might be in order:
Would not be surprised at all if Landeskog gets fined or suspended for that hit. Completely unnecessary hit, looking at numbers.
— Frank Seravalli (@DNFlyers) January 3, 2014
Raffl has been a revelation for the Flyers this year, emerging from the Swedish second division to score 11 points in 29 games and occasionally play on Philly’s top line. He was also recently named to the Austrian Olympic team for the ’14 games in Sochi.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 2
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)