Jan 3, 2014, 11:34 AM EDT
Flyers head coach Craig Berube won’t be lobbying for supplemental discipline on the hit that sidelined Michael Raffl.
Raffl, who suffered a concussion on a hit from Colorado captain Gabriel Landeskog last night, is out indefinitely — but that didn’t change Berbube’s opinion of the play.
“It’s fine. It’s not a penalty,” Berube said. “Kind of a tough play. He’s against the glass already and the guy just hit him — it’s a tough play.”
Here’s the hit in question:
Landeskog wasn’t penalized on the play, though the Philadelphia Daily News thought a call from the NHL’s Department of Player Safety might be in order:
Would not be surprised at all if Landeskog gets fined or suspended for that hit. Completely unnecessary hit, looking at numbers.
— Frank Seravalli (@DNFlyers) January 3, 2014
Raffl has been a revelation for the Flyers this year, emerging from the Swedish second division to score 11 points in 29 games and occasionally play on Philly’s top line. He was also recently named to the Austrian Olympic team for the ’14 games in Sochi.
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 6
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 4
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Nolan skates Sabres, says the time for ‘taking it easy is over’ 36
- Report: Gryba, Tropp avoid punishment after getting tossed for hits 6
- What they’re saying about the Sabres (and it’s not good) 22
- NHL on NBCSN: Caps, Red Wings battle after hotly contested 13-14 series 5
- Miller wins 300th, Canes finish Oct. without single victory 7
- Video: Backes crashes into Daley, falls to ice hard (Updated) 5
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (61)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)