Jan 3, 2014, 11:34 AM EDT
Flyers head coach Craig Berube won’t be lobbying for supplemental discipline on the hit that sidelined Michael Raffl.
Raffl, who suffered a concussion on a hit from Colorado captain Gabriel Landeskog last night, is out indefinitely — but that didn’t change Berbube’s opinion of the play.
“It’s fine. It’s not a penalty,” Berube said. “Kind of a tough play. He’s against the glass already and the guy just hit him — it’s a tough play.”
Here’s the hit in question:
Landeskog wasn’t penalized on the play, though the Philadelphia Daily News thought a call from the NHL’s Department of Player Safety might be in order:
Would not be surprised at all if Landeskog gets fined or suspended for that hit. Completely unnecessary hit, looking at numbers.
— Frank Seravalli (@DNFlyers) January 3, 2014
Raffl has been a revelation for the Flyers this year, emerging from the Swedish second division to score 11 points in 29 games and occasionally play on Philly’s top line. He was also recently named to the Austrian Olympic team for the ’14 games in Sochi.
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues 75
- Blackhawks extend TVR through 2017-18 3
- Good start: McDavid scores five in Oilers scrimmage 33
- Caps ink Kuznetsov to two-year, $6 million extension 9
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 12
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 15
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 37
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 15
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Expansion process underway as NHL sends out applications (94)
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues (76)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)