Jan 3, 2014, 10:00 AM EST
Avalanche defenseman Erik Johnson was one of the key players on Team USA’s blue line during the 2010 Olympics. This time around, however, he’ll have to watch his country play from home.
Johnson tells Adrian Dater of The Denver Post he’s “disappointed” he didn’t get the call to represent his country in Sochi.
“I didn’t expect to make it at the beginning of the year. But how well I’ve played these last three months, I was back in the mix. So that’s probably the hardest part, knowing that I couldn’t have done any more as far as my play to make it. You know, I played fantastic these first three months, so it’s disappointing, but my focus is on this team now,” Johnson said. “I’ll use that two-week break to recharge and get ready for the playoffs.”
Colorado is currently third in the Central Division and have a seven point lead on Dallas and Minnesota in fourth. Playoffs are a very real thing for the Avs and Johnson is a key part of that. He has six goals and 18 points through 40 games, making him the top point-producer on their blue line.
Being the guy that helps push the play of one of the higher-scoring, faster teams certainly helped him make a case for the Olympics. That said, it was clear the brain trust behind Team USA found players they liked better for that role.
- Miller’s second straight shutout puts Canucks in NHL lead 15
- Video: Ennis fires behind his back while falling, scores 3
- Video: Hjalmarsson crushes Kesler, Lindholm scores in wild sequence (Updated) 6
- Trade: Ducks get Brewer from Lightning; Beauchemin out 4-6 weeks 2
- Thanksgiving Shutdown: Rangers blank listless Flyers for second time this season 25
- Video: Martin St. Louis scores goal for 1,000th point 2
- Actual video proof that Brodeur is practicing with the Blues 5
- Return of the Mac: Rangers captain McDonagh in today vs. Flyers 3
- NHL on NBC: Rangers vs. Flyers in a Thanksgiving Showdown 2
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Report: Perron’s name comes up as Oilers seek trade for ‘top center’ (45)
- Video: Bruins see two goals waved off (44)
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? (43)