Wild snap six-game losing streak with win over Sabres

Jan 2, 2014, 11:13 PM EDT

New York Islanders v Minnesota Wild Getty Images

With rumblings that Mike Yeo’s time as head coach is coming to an end, the Minnesota Wild kicked off their 2014 portion of the schedule with a win. It’s been a while.

The Wild had lost six straight heading into Thursday’s game against the Buffalo Sabres. They came away with a 4-1 victory against the Sabres, who sit at the bottom of the NHL standings.

“I can’t express how good to it feels to get the monkey off our back,” said the Wild’s Clayton Stoner afterward, according to Chad Graff of the St. Paul Pioneer Press.

The recently snapped losing streak had dropped the Wild down to fifth in the Central Division, and speculation that Yeo’s tenure as Wild coach might be coming to an end as a result had been gaining momentum.

That led to this response from Yeo: “I don’t want anyone feeling sorry for me.”

“What I want is for you guys to know I still believe in this group and you’re going to see that I’m still going to come in here and I’m going to coach not to try to save my job, I’m going to coach to try to give us a chance to get things going, get back on track and get back in the playoff race and keep building toward our ultimate goal.”

Latest Posts
  1. Report: Duchene to miss at least first two games of Avalanche-Wild series

Apr 15, 2014, 9:31 PM EDT

Boston Bruins v Colorado Avalanche Getty Images

“It puts a lot more pressure on everybody else,” says Nathan MacKinnon.

2. Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall

Apr 15, 2014, 8:25 PM EDT

NHL2014Draft

After losing the No. 1 pick to Colorado last year.

3. Pressing question: Will Philly get the goaltending?

Apr 15, 2014, 6:55 PM EDT

Steve Mason, Ray Emery AP

Heck, will Steve Mason even be available?

4. NHL hit with third concussion lawsuit

Apr 15, 2014, 6:43 PM EDT

bettmangetty Getty Images

Just days after another group of ex-players filed last Thursday.

5. PHT Extra: Can the Jackets upset the Penguins?

Apr 15, 2014, 5:31 PM EDT

Pittsburgh Penguins v Columbus Blue Jackets Getty Images

What about the Stars over the Ducks?

6. Boudreau won’t say who’s starting for Ducks, but the money’s on Andersen

Apr 15, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT

Frederik Andersen, Jonas Hiller AP

“I don’t think I can screw it up too bad whoever I choose.”

7. Calgary’s AHL affiliate parts ways with Abbotsford

Apr 15, 2014, 3:13 PM EDT

abbotsford heat logo

The city has terminated the contract.

8. Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers

Apr 15, 2014, 2:08 PM EDT

Philadelphia Flyers v Florida Panthers Getty Images

“That’s not been determined yet,” said head coach Craig Berube.

9. Pressing question: Are the Avs for real?

Apr 15, 2014, 1:50 PM EDT

Colorado Avalanche v Columbus Blue Jackets Getty Images

Even if they beat Minnesota, that question won’t be put to bed.

10. Flyers sign Frozen Four MVP Gostisbehere

Apr 15, 2014, 1:10 PM EDT

Shayne Gostisbehere Getty Images

Union College standout was a third-round pick in ’12.

11. Coyotes say Smith won’t need MCL surgery

Apr 15, 2014, 1:01 PM EDT

Mike Smith Getty Images

“We have no qualms whatsoever about a long-term problem with it.”

12. Welcome Jason Spezza to the trade rumor mill

Apr 15, 2014, 12:38 PM EDT

PITTSBURGH, PA - FEBRUARY 03: Jason Spezza #19 of the Ottawa Senators skates against the Pittsburgh Penguins during the game at Consol Energy Center on February 3, 2014 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. (Photo by Justin K. Aller/Getty Images) Getty Images

“I’m not naive to the talk. I’ve been asked the question lots.”

Are Penguins vulnerable vs. Columbus?
Top 10 NHL Player Searches