Jan 2, 2014, 11:13 PM EDT
With rumblings that Mike Yeo’s time as head coach is coming to an end, the Minnesota Wild kicked off their 2014 portion of the schedule with a win. It’s been a while.
The Wild had lost six straight heading into Thursday’s game against the Buffalo Sabres. They came away with a 4-1 victory against the Sabres, who sit at the bottom of the NHL standings.
“I can’t express how good to it feels to get the monkey off our back,” said the Wild’s Clayton Stoner afterward, according to Chad Graff of the St. Paul Pioneer Press.
The recently snapped losing streak had dropped the Wild down to fifth in the Central Division, and speculation that Yeo’s tenure as Wild coach might be coming to an end as a result had been gaining momentum.
That led to this response from Yeo: “I don’t want anyone feeling sorry for me.”
“What I want is for you guys to know I still believe in this group and you’re going to see that I’m still going to come in here and I’m going to coach not to try to save my job, I’m going to coach to try to give us a chance to get things going, get back on track and get back in the playoff race and keep building toward our ultimate goal.”
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 3
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 35
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 25
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 90
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- Leafs ‘lack an identity,’ says Leiweke 30
- On the hot seat: McPhee will ‘talk in a couple of days’ 21
- Bruins are 7/2 favorites to win the Stanley Cup; Blues next at 6/1 49
- End of an era: Trotz out as Nashville head coach 40
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (90)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)