Jan 2, 2014, 12:40 PM EDT
Konopka has two points and 55 penalty minutes in 36 games this season. He didn’t establish himself in the NHL until his late 20s, but once he did, he led the league in penalty minutes in back-to-back campaigns. He’s also strong on the draw with a 65.7 faceoff winning percentage in 2013-14.
He’s in the final campaign of his two-year, $1.85 million contract with the Wild.
This decision comes at a time when Minnesota has lost six straight contests and is struggling to find its way offensively. The Wild will play against Buffalo tonight.
- Getzlaf to play Game 2, looks awful 1
- Video: PHT Extra — can Detroit exploit Boston’s blueline? 0
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 13
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 33
- Blues prevail in longest game in franchise history as Steen scores in third OT 19
- Video: Sharks’ Brown runs Voynov into Quick, scrum ensues 2
- Opportunistic Rangers pull away from Flyers, take 1-0 series lead 58
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 1) 1
- Report: Hextall ‘in the mix’ for Vancouver GM job 26