Jan 2, 2014, 12:40 PM EDT
Konopka has two points and 55 penalty minutes in 36 games this season. He didn’t establish himself in the NHL until his late 20s, but once he did, he led the league in penalty minutes in back-to-back campaigns. He’s also strong on the draw with a 65.7 faceoff winning percentage in 2013-14.
He’s in the final campaign of his two-year, $1.85 million contract with the Wild.
This decision comes at a time when Minnesota has lost six straight contests and is struggling to find its way offensively. The Wild will play against Buffalo tonight.
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 16
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 5
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 2
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 38
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 33
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 7
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 13
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 21