Jan 2, 2014, 12:40 PM EST
Konopka has two points and 55 penalty minutes in 36 games this season. He didn’t establish himself in the NHL until his late 20s, but once he did, he led the league in penalty minutes in back-to-back campaigns. He’s also strong on the draw with a 65.7 faceoff winning percentage in 2013-14.
He’s in the final campaign of his two-year, $1.85 million contract with the Wild.
This decision comes at a time when Minnesota has lost six straight contests and is struggling to find its way offensively. The Wild will play against Buffalo tonight.
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 2
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 20
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 29
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 6
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 47
- Playoff bubble watch — Rangers edition 14
- Video: Emotional day for Martin St. Louis ends in OT loss for Rangers 27
- Video: Caps, Flyers engage in another line brawl 53
- PHT’s 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 28
- Winners and losers of the 2014 trade deadline 48
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Sabres send Miller, Ott to Blues for package including Halak, Stewart (74)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)