Jan 2, 2014, 12:06 PM EST
The Minnesota Wild have lost six straight games. That by itself is a bad, but not terrible thing for the team. The real problem is that with more than half the season in the books, the Wild can’t be happy with where they are right now.
They’re four games behind Phoenix in the battle for the second Wild Card spot despite the fact that the Coyotes have played in three fewer contests. That’s a significant gap for the Wild to overcome in a season where they were expected to not only to make the playoffs, but go on a decent run once they got there.
So naturally it’s led to speculation about Wild coach Mike Yeo’s job security, especially given that this is the final campaign of his contract. He’s aware of that and so are his players, so he decided to talk to them about it on Wednesday.
“‘I don’t want anyone feeling sorry for me,'” Yeo recounted to the StarTribune. “‘What I want is for you guys to know I still believe in this group and you’re going to see that I’m still going to come in here and I’m going to coach not to try to save my job, I’m going to coach to try to give us a chance to get things going, get back on track and get back in the playoff race and keep building toward our ultimate goal.'”
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings, too 0
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 15
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 58
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 28
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 81
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (81)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)