Jan 2, 2014, 12:06 PM EDT
The Minnesota Wild have lost six straight games. That by itself is a bad, but not terrible thing for the team. The real problem is that with more than half the season in the books, the Wild can’t be happy with where they are right now.
They’re four games behind Phoenix in the battle for the second Wild Card spot despite the fact that the Coyotes have played in three fewer contests. That’s a significant gap for the Wild to overcome in a season where they were expected to not only to make the playoffs, but go on a decent run once they got there.
So naturally it’s led to speculation about Wild coach Mike Yeo’s job security, especially given that this is the final campaign of his contract. He’s aware of that and so are his players, so he decided to talk to them about it on Wednesday.
“‘I don’t want anyone feeling sorry for me,'” Yeo recounted to the StarTribune. “‘What I want is for you guys to know I still believe in this group and you’re going to see that I’m still going to come in here and I’m going to coach not to try to save my job, I’m going to coach to try to give us a chance to get things going, get back on track and get back in the playoff race and keep building toward our ultimate goal.'”
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 20
- Everything happens: Ovechkin nails Tavares, Isles score 17
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 9
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 17
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 33
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 57
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 106
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 12
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (106)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (91)