Jan 2, 2014, 12:06 PM EDT
The Minnesota Wild have lost six straight games. That by itself is a bad, but not terrible thing for the team. The real problem is that with more than half the season in the books, the Wild can’t be happy with where they are right now.
They’re four games behind Phoenix in the battle for the second Wild Card spot despite the fact that the Coyotes have played in three fewer contests. That’s a significant gap for the Wild to overcome in a season where they were expected to not only to make the playoffs, but go on a decent run once they got there.
So naturally it’s led to speculation about Wild coach Mike Yeo’s job security, especially given that this is the final campaign of his contract. He’s aware of that and so are his players, so he decided to talk to them about it on Wednesday.
“‘I don’t want anyone feeling sorry for me,’” Yeo recounted to the StarTribune. “‘What I want is for you guys to know I still believe in this group and you’re going to see that I’m still going to come in here and I’m going to coach not to try to save my job, I’m going to coach to try to give us a chance to get things going, get back on track and get back in the playoff race and keep building toward our ultimate goal.’”
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 0
- WATCH LIVE: Washington Capitals at Pittsburgh Penguins 1
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 13
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 53
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (67)
- Flyers’ Luke Schenn on first-period brawl: ‘That’s the way it goes’ (57)