Jan 2, 2014, 10:15 PM EDT
Jeff Skinner is on a roll. The Carolina Hurricanes’ 21-year-old forward recorded the hat trick – his second of the season – to propel his team to a 4-3 overtime victory over the Washington Capitals on Thursday.
Skinner is now up to 19 goals on the season. He has five goals in the last two games, and nine points in his last five games.
Born in Toronto, his recent hot streak comes less than a week before Hockey Canada will announce its roster for the 2014 Sochi Olympics. Could his play of late have any kind of influence on those entrusted with making the decisions for Canada’s team?
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 0
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 8
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 4
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)