Jan 2, 2014, 10:15 PM EDT
Jeff Skinner is on a roll. The Carolina Hurricanes’ 21-year-old forward recorded the hat trick – his second of the season – to propel his team to a 4-3 overtime victory over the Washington Capitals on Thursday.
Skinner is now up to 19 goals on the season. He has five goals in the last two games, and nine points in his last five games.
Born in Toronto, his recent hot streak comes less than a week before Hockey Canada will announce its roster for the 2014 Sochi Olympics. Could his play of late have any kind of influence on those entrusted with making the decisions for Canada’s team?
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 20
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5