Jan 2, 2014, 12:20 AM EST
One can excuse much of the hockey world for being a little bleary eyed during the time of the Tampa Bay Lightning – Vancouver Canucks game.
After all, it’s the only game of the night, with a late start. Some may be barely over the “results” of New Year’s Eve festivities. There’s also that 2014 Winter Classic that may leave some would-be onlookers groggy.
The game started in a yawn-inducing way, too, but hopefully fans didn’t doze off during a run of second period goals Wednesday night.
Bruce Richardson scored for Vancouver 11:25 into the middle frame, but things didn’t really pick up until four minutes later. Over a span of just more than 30 seconds, a 1-0 game turned into a 2-2 tie. Here are the goals in chronological order.
Valtteri Filppula made it 1-1 with a snapshot 15:27 into the period:
Twenty seconds later, Tyler Johnson gave Tampa Bay a fleeting 2-1 lead:
That lead only made persisted for 14 seconds, however, as Zac Dalpe scored his first goal of the season:
One can only imagine the lightning puns that were striking down on readers after that display.
Update: The Lightning ended up winning 4-2 on Wednesday. The Bolts ended a two-game skid, extending Vancouver’s losing streak to two in the process.
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 9
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 21
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 61
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)