Jan 2, 2014, 1:57 PM EDT
“He should be [on the team],” Bowman told ESPN’s Craig Custance (paywall). “He’s really coming on. He’s got 14 goals. He doesn’t play crazy minutes yet. He’s going to be an all-around player. He’s just got it. He’s strong on his feet. You can see his strength building up all the time.”
Scotty Bowman’s son, Chicago Blackhawks GM Stan Bowman, was part of the selection committee. Like his father, the younger Bowman thinks highly of Saad and spoke in support of him throughout the process, based on an ESPN report.
In the end, Blake Wheeler and T.J. Oshie were only narrowly picked over Saad, so it wouldn’t be surprising to see the Blackhawks forward get serious consideration as an injury replacement if the United States needs one.
It would certainly make some sense, especially given that Saad already has developed on-ice chemistry with Patrick Kane and that kind of familiarity can be very valuable in the Olympics. His lack of experience is knock against him, but then again, he did play a significant role in Chicago’s 2013 Stanley Cup championship.
For now though, all Saad can do is continue to serve the Blackhawks and let whatever happens, happen.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)