Jan 2, 2014, 1:57 PM EDT
“He should be [on the team],” Bowman told ESPN’s Craig Custance (paywall). “He’s really coming on. He’s got 14 goals. He doesn’t play crazy minutes yet. He’s going to be an all-around player. He’s just got it. He’s strong on his feet. You can see his strength building up all the time.”
Scotty Bowman’s son, Chicago Blackhawks GM Stan Bowman, was part of the selection committee. Like his father, the younger Bowman thinks highly of Saad and spoke in support of him throughout the process, based on an ESPN report.
In the end, Blake Wheeler and T.J. Oshie were only narrowly picked over Saad, so it wouldn’t be surprising to see the Blackhawks forward get serious consideration as an injury replacement if the United States needs one.
It would certainly make some sense, especially given that Saad already has developed on-ice chemistry with Patrick Kane and that kind of familiarity can be very valuable in the Olympics. His lack of experience is knock against him, but then again, he did play a significant role in Chicago’s 2013 Stanley Cup championship.
For now though, all Saad can do is continue to serve the Blackhawks and let whatever happens, happen.
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 18
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 36
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 32
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Owner Pegula: Sabres have gone through ‘two of the most successful seasons we’ve ever had’ (43)
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM (36)