Jan 2, 2014, 5:15 PM EDT
The U.S. Olympic team was put together by a committee of prominent American hockey minds, but the buck still stopped at Nashville Predators GM David Poile. Poile didn’t seem keen on wedging his own players onto the roster, which avoids controversy … unless it were to come from the Predators locker room.
“They put together a good team and I think they know what they’re doing,” Jones said. “I have no hard feelings, but there are a lot of good defensemen this year and I think they put together a solid team.”
Reports indicated that Jones, 19, generated early buzz as a potential surprise inclusion before fizzling out beginning in November.
The two forwards in question were probably longer shots all along, something that wasn’t lost on Wilson, 24.
“I think with the season I was having, I wasn’t exactly expecting to make anything,” Wilson said. “There’s a lot of really good American players who were putting up numbers this year, so I knew I wasn’t quite there.”
There are other Americans on the Preds’ roster, but the aforementioned threesome probably had the best chance to make it. Thankfully for Poile, it didn’t cause too much turmoil for those who didn’t make it.
- Could Lundqvist start Saturday for the Rangers? 6
- Five big games to watch this weekend 7
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 15
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 56
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)