Jan 2, 2014, 5:15 PM EDT
The U.S. Olympic team was put together by a committee of prominent American hockey minds, but the buck still stopped at Nashville Predators GM David Poile. Poile didn’t seem keen on wedging his own players onto the roster, which avoids controversy … unless it were to come from the Predators locker room.
“They put together a good team and I think they know what they’re doing,” Jones said. “I have no hard feelings, but there are a lot of good defensemen this year and I think they put together a solid team.”
Reports indicated that Jones, 19, generated early buzz as a potential surprise inclusion before fizzling out beginning in November.
The two forwards in question were probably longer shots all along, something that wasn’t lost on Wilson, 24.
“I think with the season I was having, I wasn’t exactly expecting to make anything,” Wilson said. “There’s a lot of really good American players who were putting up numbers this year, so I knew I wasn’t quite there.”
There are other Americans on the Preds’ roster, but the aforementioned threesome probably had the best chance to make it. Thankfully for Poile, it didn’t cause too much turmoil for those who didn’t make it.
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 1
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 10
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 16
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 39
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 17
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 6
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ (49)