Jan 2, 2014, 3:40 PM EDT
Many believe that the punishment for Joffrey Lupul‘s crosscheck on Patrick Eaves from the 2014 Winter Classic will draw more than the two-minute minor it generated on Wednesday. That’s for the league to decide, and that process will be helped along by a hearing on Friday afternoon.
The NHL didn’t say this officially, but the Canadian Press’ Stephen Whyno reports that it will be a telephone hearing, which means that the ceiling on a possible suspension for the Toronto Maple Leafs forward is smaller.
Lupul, 30, was suspended for two games back in March, so he’ll be considered a repeat offender. While that works against him, nothing is “broken” for Patrick Eaves, so the injury aspect might not be a concern. (The Detroit Red Wings are still checking for a concussion, however.)
Here’s video of the hit:
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 3
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 17
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; Blues tie it up in waning moments 78
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 4
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 35
- Lucic fined $5,000 for spearing DeKeyser 60
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 7
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 114
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 62
- Crashing Lightning: Montreal crushes Tampa Bay, takes 2-0 series lead 7