Jan 2, 2014, 3:40 PM EDT
Many believe that the punishment for Joffrey Lupul‘s crosscheck on Patrick Eaves from the 2014 Winter Classic will draw more than the two-minute minor it generated on Wednesday. That’s for the league to decide, and that process will be helped along by a hearing on Friday afternoon.
The NHL didn’t say this officially, but the Canadian Press’ Stephen Whyno reports that it will be a telephone hearing, which means that the ceiling on a possible suspension for the Toronto Maple Leafs forward is smaller.
Lupul, 30, was suspended for two games back in March, so he’ll be considered a repeat offender. While that works against him, nothing is “broken” for Patrick Eaves, so the injury aspect might not be a concern. (The Detroit Red Wings are still checking for a concussion, however.)
Here’s video of the hit:
- Under Pressure: Turris, MacArthur & Ryan 1
- It’s Ottawa Senators day on PHT 7
- Report: Leiweke to head up Olympic bid in Los Angeles 11
- In praise of John Tavares 14
- It’s New York Islanders Day at PHT 26
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 19
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 39
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47