Jan 2, 2014, 6:35 PM EDT
News and notes from around the blue paint …
Corey Crawford comes back
After being sidelined since Dec. 8, the Chicago Blackhawks will welcome Corey Crawford back into the fold. Will it give the underrated netminder a chance to prove to Team Canada’s brass that he’s fit to be one of the Olympic three?
Elliott building Blues build-up?
Jaroslav Halak is sick, so that opens the door for Brian Elliott to continue to threaten his position as the St. Louis Blues go-to guy. If he keeps winning, it’s hard to imagine it morphing into anything less than a platoon-ish situation. Meanwhile, it sounds like Martin Jones will tend the net for Los Angeles. The Kings have been struggling lately.
(Jake Allen was also called up by the Blues in case Elliott falters.)
Could Khudobin push Cam in Carolina?
Nashville at Boston: Marek Mazenec faces Niklas Svedberg (more on the latter here)
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 20
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5