Jan 2, 2014, 3:22 PM EST
While the Montreal Canadiens lineup will look a little different on Thursday thanks to performance-related scratches, the Dallas Stars’ depleted group isn’t so voluntary. Flu issues will sideline Shawn Horcoff and possibly Ray Whitney tonight, inspiring the Stars to call up forward Colton Sceviour.
Sceviour, 24, has been fairly productive at both levels of play so far in 2013-14. His 34 points in 28 games with the AHL’s Texas Stars impresses most obviously, but he hasn’t been too bad with the Stars in the NHL, scoring a respectable four points in seven games. Not bad for a call-up. (He was a fourth-rounder [112th overall] in 2007, by the way.)
The Stars have been playing well lately, with three wins in their last four games and five victories in their last seven contests. They’ll begin the year with an East-heavy schedule, so if they can fight off injuries, Dallas might just manage to make some gains to start 2014.
- Mark Howe on his father’s health: ‘He’s back in the ballgame’ 0
- Holland: ‘I’m not against fighting’ 3
- Preds’ Neal fined for diving 17
- After surprising start, Flames sign Hartley to multi-year contract extension 4
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 11
- Video: Coyotes defeat Oilers with 0.3 seconds remaining in OT 3
- It’s ‘unlikely’ Duncan Keith has the mumps, says Blackhawks coach 3
- Bjugstad scores the winner as Panthers, Capitals make history with 20-round shootout 21
- Yep, Beau Bennett has the mumps 24
- (Video) PHT Extra: Would the Oilers really trade Taylor Hall? 11