Jan 2, 2014, 3:22 PM EDT
While the Montreal Canadiens lineup will look a little different on Thursday thanks to performance-related scratches, the Dallas Stars’ depleted group isn’t so voluntary. Flu issues will sideline Shawn Horcoff and possibly Ray Whitney tonight, inspiring the Stars to call up forward Colton Sceviour.
Sceviour, 24, has been fairly productive at both levels of play so far in 2013-14. His 34 points in 28 games with the AHL’s Texas Stars impresses most obviously, but he hasn’t been too bad with the Stars in the NHL, scoring a respectable four points in seven games. Not bad for a call-up. (He was a fourth-rounder [112th overall] in 2007, by the way.)
The Stars have been playing well lately, with three wins in their last four games and five victories in their last seven contests. They’ll begin the year with an East-heavy schedule, so if they can fight off injuries, Dallas might just manage to make some gains to start 2014.
- Workhorse goalies, forwards from last season 9
- Five interesting players still on UFA market 34
- Trotz will still cheer for Preds ‘like crazy’ 4
- Hextall: Advanced statistics small, but meaningful part of Kings’ success 7
- Hayes sees opportunity with Rangers 27
- Fanspeak: Martin Brodeur named greatest Devil in franchise history 14
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 7
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 22
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 30
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 6