Jan 2, 2014, 3:22 PM EDT
While the Montreal Canadiens lineup will look a little different on Thursday thanks to performance-related scratches, the Dallas Stars’ depleted group isn’t so voluntary. Flu issues will sideline Shawn Horcoff and possibly Ray Whitney tonight, inspiring the Stars to call up forward Colton Sceviour.
Sceviour, 24, has been fairly productive at both levels of play so far in 2013-14. His 34 points in 28 games with the AHL’s Texas Stars impresses most obviously, but he hasn’t been too bad with the Stars in the NHL, scoring a respectable four points in seven games. Not bad for a call-up. (He was a fourth-rounder [112th overall] in 2007, by the way.)
The Stars have been playing well lately, with three wins in their last four games and five victories in their last seven contests. They’ll begin the year with an East-heavy schedule, so if they can fight off injuries, Dallas might just manage to make some gains to start 2014.
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 6
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 29
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 43
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 50
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 33
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother 31
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 27
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 53
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 10
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41