Jan 2, 2014, 3:14 PM EDT
When the Montreal Canadiens take on the Dallas Stars tonight, they’ll be doing so without the help of Daniel Briere or Alexei Emelin. Both players are healthy, but coach Michel Therrien isn’t interested in using either of them, according to the Montreal Gazette’s Pat Hickey.
This isn’t the first time Briere has been sent to the press box and on top that, his playing time has been limited this season. The 36-year-old forward is averaging just 12:38 minutes per game after agreeing to a two-year, $8 million contract that runs through 2014-15.
Speaking about contracts that Montreal might regret, the decision to scratch Emelin comes just a couple months after they signed him to a four-year, $16.4 million contract. That deal doesn’t even take effect until next season and already there are causes for concern.
He started the season on the sidelines due to a knee injury and his playing time has dipped from 19:40 minutes per contest in the shortened campaign to just 17:35 since his return. It’s also a discouraging sign for Team Russia when it comes to the 2014 Winter Olympics. Their defensive core was already a significant question mark and Emelin’s struggles serves to further complicate things for them.
Aug 27, 2014, 8:28 PM EDT
It matters given that they will start next season with a largely unchanged roster.
Aug 27, 2014, 7:20 PM EDT
Ken Holland hasn’t been in contact with him lately, but that will change soon.
Aug 27, 2014, 6:10 PM EDT
He hasn’t played for them since 2007.
Aug 27, 2014, 4:55 PM EDT
It’s a two-way deal.
Aug 27, 2014, 3:47 PM EDT
Mr. Hockey still reigns supreme in Detroit.
Aug 27, 2014, 2:24 PM EDT
“I haven’t heard that.”
Aug 27, 2014, 1:28 PM EDT
“We haven’t defined a process and certainly no decisions have been made.”
Aug 27, 2014, 1:11 PM EDT
Needs to bounce back after last year’s disappointing campaign.
Aug 27, 2014, 12:31 PM EDT
Finished second in the NHL among forwards last year, with 87.
Aug 27, 2014, 11:39 AM EDT
Former Quebec league sniper is gunning for a gig in Detroit.
Aug 27, 2014, 10:57 AM EDT
Former Tampa Bay forward was bought out of his contract earlier this summer, following legal troubles.
Aug 27, 2014, 10:04 AM EDT
The Red Wings are rebuilding on the fly, but are they assembling a future Cup contender?
Aug 27, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
He’ll enter the second season of his seven-year, $36.75 million contract.
Aug 27, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
They have made it to the playoffs for 23 straight seasons.
Aug 26, 2014, 10:51 PM EDT
He’s the former face of the franchise.
Aug 26, 2014, 9:57 PM EDT
A recent report has added new fuel to the speculation on that subject.
Aug 26, 2014, 8:30 PM EDT
Dupuis and Hornqvist are two of the main options.
Aug 26, 2014, 7:23 PM EDT
Will they go another season without one?
Aug 26, 2014, 6:11 PM EDT
He’s going into the final season of his bridge contract.
Aug 26, 2014, 5:05 PM EDT
He’s looking to build off of his breakout campaign.
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 5
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 5
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 23
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 24
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 15
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)