Jan 2, 2014, 9:55 AM EST
The question of what the Carolina Hurricanes will do once they have three healthy goaltenders has been put on hold. Although Anton Khudobin has returned from an ankle injury and is expected to start tonight against Washington, Cam Ward is back on the sidelines.
Ward missed nearly a month due a lower-body injury earlier this season and will be unavailable for at least two games due to another ailment, according to the News & Observer. Ward has been plagued by injuries over the last two campaigns and has struggled when he has been healthy this season.
When the Hurricanes get Ward back the team will be faced with a logjam between the pipes. Justin Peters‘ solid play has led to speculation that he or Anton Khudobin might be traded. Neither netminder can return to the AHL without first being placed on waivers and Carolina isn’t likely to risk that.
Then again, given how many injuries Carolina’s goaltenders have dealt with over the last couple of years, maybe they need three viable starters on their roster.
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 22
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 23
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 13
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (65)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)