Jan 2, 2014, 9:55 AM EDT
The question of what the Carolina Hurricanes will do once they have three healthy goaltenders has been put on hold. Although Anton Khudobin has returned from an ankle injury and is expected to start tonight against Washington, Cam Ward is back on the sidelines.
Ward missed nearly a month due a lower-body injury earlier this season and will be unavailable for at least two games due to another ailment, according to the News & Observer. Ward has been plagued by injuries over the last two campaigns and has struggled when he has been healthy this season.
When the Hurricanes get Ward back the team will be faced with a logjam between the pipes. Justin Peters‘ solid play has led to speculation that he or Anton Khudobin might be traded. Neither netminder can return to the AHL without first being placed on waivers and Carolina isn’t likely to risk that.
Then again, given how many injuries Carolina’s goaltenders have dealt with over the last couple of years, maybe they need three viable starters on their roster.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (49)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)