Jan 2, 2014, 9:55 AM EDT
The question of what the Carolina Hurricanes will do once they have three healthy goaltenders has been put on hold. Although Anton Khudobin has returned from an ankle injury and is expected to start tonight against Washington, Cam Ward is back on the sidelines.
Ward missed nearly a month due a lower-body injury earlier this season and will be unavailable for at least two games due to another ailment, according to the News & Observer. Ward has been plagued by injuries over the last two campaigns and has struggled when he has been healthy this season.
When the Hurricanes get Ward back the team will be faced with a logjam between the pipes. Justin Peters‘ solid play has led to speculation that he or Anton Khudobin might be traded. Neither netminder can return to the AHL without first being placed on waivers and Carolina isn’t likely to risk that.
Then again, given how many injuries Carolina’s goaltenders have dealt with over the last couple of years, maybe they need three viable starters on their roster.
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Video: Stamkos ends goal drought in style 0
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 9
- Rangers hang on, even series with Caps 55
- Video: Ovechkin splits ‘D’, scores while falling 31
- Flames’ Gaudreau wasn’t happy with benching in Game 1 2
- Video: Blackhawks hold off Wild to take series lead 23
- Video: Therrien fuming after Bolts appear offside before OT winner 46
- Video: Lightning bolt to series lead on Kucherov’s double OT winner 14
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 8
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappointment as Wild advance (99)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb (81)