Jan 2, 2014, 9:55 AM EDT
The question of what the Carolina Hurricanes will do once they have three healthy goaltenders has been put on hold. Although Anton Khudobin has returned from an ankle injury and is expected to start tonight against Washington, Cam Ward is back on the sidelines.
Ward missed nearly a month due a lower-body injury earlier this season and will be unavailable for at least two games due to another ailment, according to the News & Observer. Ward has been plagued by injuries over the last two campaigns and has struggled when he has been healthy this season.
When the Hurricanes get Ward back the team will be faced with a logjam between the pipes. Justin Peters‘ solid play has led to speculation that he or Anton Khudobin might be traded. Neither netminder can return to the AHL without first being placed on waivers and Carolina isn’t likely to risk that.
Then again, given how many injuries Carolina’s goaltenders have dealt with over the last couple of years, maybe they need three viable starters on their roster.
- Help’s on the way: Letang, Bennett cleared for practices 2
- Penguins rally falls short as Flyers sweep weekend series 12
- NHL on NBCSN: Detroit pumped to face Chicago 4
- NHL on NBC: Penguins and Flyers resume rivalry as playoff race continues 7
- Discuss: Habs overcome three-goal deficit, beat Senators in overtime 16
- Canucks ready to face Luongo on Sunday 2
- West update: Stars blow lead yet still improve hold on wild card spot 4
- East update: Red Wings eke out shootout win for key points 0
- Luongo continues to foil Schneider as Panthers damage Devils’ playoff hopes 3
- TGIF: In which we salivate over potential playoff matchups 10
- Here are three ‘major changes’ the NHL should consider (98)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (74)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (62)
- Pens lose Neal to concussion (62)
- Video: Dryden on why hockey should ‘give up the fighting, but keep the fight’ (57)