Jan 2, 2014, 9:55 AM EDT
The question of what the Carolina Hurricanes will do once they have three healthy goaltenders has been put on hold. Although Anton Khudobin has returned from an ankle injury and is expected to start tonight against Washington, Cam Ward is back on the sidelines.
Ward missed nearly a month due a lower-body injury earlier this season and will be unavailable for at least two games due to another ailment, according to the News & Observer. Ward has been plagued by injuries over the last two campaigns and has struggled when he has been healthy this season.
When the Hurricanes get Ward back the team will be faced with a logjam between the pipes. Justin Peters‘ solid play has led to speculation that he or Anton Khudobin might be traded. Neither netminder can return to the AHL without first being placed on waivers and Carolina isn’t likely to risk that.
Then again, given how many injuries Carolina’s goaltenders have dealt with over the last couple of years, maybe they need three viable starters on their roster.
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 10
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 14
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 29
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25