Jan 2, 2014, 9:43 PM EST
The reaction continues to filter in from those supposedly in the running to make the U.S. men’s Olympic hockey team.
Boston Bruins’ defenseman Torey Krug one of the latest to voice his disappointment at being kept off the squad.
The 22-year-old undrafted Krug, you’ll recall, had played three NHL games prior to last spring but then burst onto the scene in a big way during the 2013 Stanley Cup playoffs.
His name would be entered into the record books, becoming the first ever NHL defenseman to score four goals in his first five playoff games.
Despite being perhaps a bit undersized – he’s listed at five-foot-nine-inches tall and 181 pounds – Krug can not only skate but has shown an offensive upside for the Bruins. His eight goals coming into Thursday’s game against Nashville were only two fewer than Erik Karlsson‘s 10, which lead all NHL blue liners.
“They can say all they want, but I never really had a sniff. I’m a younger guy, and coming into the league at my age gives you more opportunities to put yourself in a position to be considered for an Olympic team,” Krug said Thursday, as per CSNNE.com.
“But I’ve never been a player that USA hockey has liked all that much, for whatever reason. Maybe it’s a size thing? I don’t know. I’m just worried about things that are going on with the Bruins.
“If down the road I’m considered for such a thing it would be pretty special, and pretty cool. I’ll just keep working hard, and if they do send the call my way then that would be cool.”
Of course, there was even great controversy to come from the U.S. hockey announcement at the conclusion of Wednesday’s Winter Classic.
- Byfuglien out 2-4 weeks with upper-body injury; Little hurt, too 9
- Bettman concedes there are ‘some members of the NHL family who would like to see fewer shootouts’ 48
- Season over: Avs lose MacKinnon to broken foot 19
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 20
- Bruins sign Krug and Smith to contract extensions 36
- Lawyer: Ribeiro to ‘vigorously fight’ $1M lawsuit alleging abuse of ex-nanny (Updated) 15
- In praise of the Hamburglar 14
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 9
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 21
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 32