Jan 2, 2014, 9:43 PM EST
The reaction continues to filter in from those supposedly in the running to make the U.S. men’s Olympic hockey team.
Boston Bruins’ defenseman Torey Krug one of the latest to voice his disappointment at being kept off the squad.
The 22-year-old undrafted Krug, you’ll recall, had played three NHL games prior to last spring but then burst onto the scene in a big way during the 2013 Stanley Cup playoffs.
His name would be entered into the record books, becoming the first ever NHL defenseman to score four goals in his first five playoff games.
Despite being perhaps a bit undersized – he’s listed at five-foot-nine-inches tall and 181 pounds – Krug can not only skate but has shown an offensive upside for the Bruins. His eight goals coming into Thursday’s game against Nashville were only two fewer than Erik Karlsson‘s 10, which lead all NHL blue liners.
“They can say all they want, but I never really had a sniff. I’m a younger guy, and coming into the league at my age gives you more opportunities to put yourself in a position to be considered for an Olympic team,” Krug said Thursday, as per CSNNE.com.
“But I’ve never been a player that USA hockey has liked all that much, for whatever reason. Maybe it’s a size thing? I don’t know. I’m just worried about things that are going on with the Bruins.
“If down the road I’m considered for such a thing it would be pretty special, and pretty cool. I’ll just keep working hard, and if they do send the call my way then that would be cool.”
Of course, there was even great controversy to come from the U.S. hockey announcement at the conclusion of Wednesday’s Winter Classic.
- Leafs scoring slump hits historical low 11
- Video: Rangers’ Lundqvist takes puck to the neck 3
- Zamboni driver arrested for DUI, allegedly cleaned ice surface while drunk 13
- Mike Richards trying to make the best of being sent to the AHL 9
- Price leads Habs past Caps with second straight shutout 8
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 5
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 27
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 61
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4