Jan 2, 2014, 11:33 AM EDT
“Insert ‘says all the right things’ here,” Ryan Tweeted to Ottawa Sun writer Don Brennan.
Evidently the “right things” includes an attack on Calgary Flames president Brian Burke for his scathing assessment of him.
“He is not intense. That word is not in his vocabulary,” Burke said, according to an ESPN report about the selection process. “It’s never going to be in his vocabulary. He can’t spell intense.”
Burke tried to reach out to Ryan on Wednesday, but the Ottawa Senators forward hasn’t called back.
Instead Ryan publicly called Burke “gutless,” according to the Ottawa Sun’s Bruce Garrioch.
“Actually I almost feel degraded when it comes out like that,” Ryan said. He added that he would try to use it as motivation going forward.
Ryan ranks fifth among American-born players with 36 points in 42 games this season. He also surpassed the 30-goal mark in four consecutive campaigns from 2008-09 to 2011-12.
It’s worth noting though that Burke wasn’t alone in his opinion. Another member called him a “sleepy” skater and when Nashville Predators GM David Poile asked people to raise their hand if they were worried about Ryan, plenty of the people on the selection committee did so.
Jul 13, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
The Ottawa Senators didn’t exactly earn rave reviews.
Jul 13, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT
Can the Ducks get decent value out of the faded star?
Jul 13, 2014, 9:00 PM EDT
For those steamed about his disappointing playoff production …
Jul 13, 2014, 7:34 PM EDT
Learn why that could make the most sense.
Jul 13, 2014, 6:12 PM EDT
The pup’s name is Gustl.
Jul 13, 2014, 4:57 PM EDT
Two interesting futures for Washington locked up.
Jul 13, 2014, 3:50 PM EDT
Will he make the team?
Jul 13, 2014, 2:42 PM EDT
He’s gifted offensively, but the blueliner needs to work on his defensive game.
Jul 13, 2014, 1:30 PM EDT
The highly regarded prospect spent the 2013-14 campaign adjusting to North American hockey.
Jul 13, 2014, 12:19 PM EDT
But Wild GM Chuck Fletcher cautioned that it would be harder to figure out the numbers for a longer-term deal.
Jul 13, 2014, 11:11 AM EDT
He was taken with the third overall pick in the 2013 NHL Entry Draft.
Jul 13, 2014, 10:05 AM EDT
The goal is for him to make a full recovery before the start of training camp.
Jul 13, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
He’s likely to be the AHL affiliate’s No. 1 goalie.
Jul 13, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Sunday’s slew of stories.
Jul 12, 2014, 10:05 PM EDT
Taking the scenic route to development.
Jul 12, 2014, 9:15 PM EDT
One columnist lays out the sticky situation.
Jul 12, 2014, 8:11 PM EDT
He’s recovering from offseason wrist surgery.
Jul 12, 2014, 7:11 PM EDT
He was part of the Jarome Iginla trade.
Jul 12, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT
He bought the team back in 1999.
Jul 12, 2014, 4:40 PM EDT
The 2012 first-rounder excelled at the junior level last season.
- Kopitar + adorable dog = best day with the Stanley Cup? 6
- With Dubinsky locked up, Jackets next task is re-signing Johansen 6
- Lightning sign Brenden Morrow for one year 31
- Jackets sign Dubinsky through 2020-21 39
- AHL’s new overtime rules include 3-on-3 play 27
- Report: Avs, O’Reilly likely headed to arbitration 72
- Armstrong lays out what Blues offered KHL-bound Sobotka 15
- Blues re-sign Ott; Sobotka to KHL? 35
- Devils ink Schneider to reported seven-year, $42 million deal 62
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions 171
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions (171)
- Report: Avs, O’Reilly likely headed to arbitration (72)
- Boyle wanted Big Apple after playing in ‘nontraditional hockey markets’ of Florida, California (63)
- Devils ink Schneider to reported seven-year, $42 million deal (62)
- Report: Sidney Crosby will undergo wrist surgery (59)