Jan 1, 2014, 12:30 AM EDT
The Phoenix Coyotes have new ownership and with it a chance to stay in Glendale. They’ve made some progress, but still have work to be done when it comes to drawing fans.
That wasn’t an issue tonight as they enjoyed a sellout crowd for their New Year’s Eve game against the Edmonton Oilers. The only question was if they were going to give the fans a reason to want to come back. They did.
Down by a goal late in the third period, the Coyotes yanked their goaltender and overwhelmed Oilers goalie Ilya Bryzgalov:
That forced the game into overtime and set the stage of Keith Yandle‘s deciding goal on a breakaway just seconds before the game would have been sent to a shootout:
“I think that’s my first overtime goal,” Yandle said, according to the Coyotes. “It felt great, especially with a sold-out crowd.”
It was his second goal of the night, giving him 27 points in 39 games. That’s good enough for third place on the scoring race among defensemen born in the United States. Team USA will announce their Olympic roster tomorrow.
“It would mean everything,” Yandle said of the opportunity to represent his country.
- Bruins scratch out OT win, push Red Wings to brink 15
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at L.A. Kings 0
- WATCH LIVE: Colorado Avalanche at Minnesota Wild (Game 4) 5
- Monster of a surprise: Red Wings start Gustavsson over Howard 5
- WATCH LIVE: Boston Bruins at Detroit Red Wings (Game 4) 2
- Bylsma rips Penguins, calls effort level ‘troubling’ 64
- Cooke: I didn’t intend to collide knee-on-knee with Barrie 98
- On ‘score effects,’ and the challenges of playing with the lead 11
- MacKinnon: Avs ‘shut ourselves down’ in Game 3, not Wild 27
- Bergeron, Kopitar and Toews named Selke finalists 34
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Wild’s Cooke offered in-person hearing for knee-on-knee collision with Barrie (111)