Jan 1, 2014, 12:30 AM EST
The Phoenix Coyotes have new ownership and with it a chance to stay in Glendale. They’ve made some progress, but still have work to be done when it comes to drawing fans.
That wasn’t an issue tonight as they enjoyed a sellout crowd for their New Year’s Eve game against the Edmonton Oilers. The only question was if they were going to give the fans a reason to want to come back. They did.
Down by a goal late in the third period, the Coyotes yanked their goaltender and overwhelmed Oilers goalie Ilya Bryzgalov:
That forced the game into overtime and set the stage of Keith Yandle‘s deciding goal on a breakaway just seconds before the game would have been sent to a shootout:
“I think that’s my first overtime goal,” Yandle said, according to the Coyotes. “It felt great, especially with a sold-out crowd.”
It was his second goal of the night, giving him 27 points in 39 games. That’s good enough for third place on the scoring race among defensemen born in the United States. Team USA will announce their Olympic roster tomorrow.
“It would mean everything,” Yandle said of the opportunity to represent his country.
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 8
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 43
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 58
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)