Jan 1, 2014, 12:30 AM EDT
The Phoenix Coyotes have new ownership and with it a chance to stay in Glendale. They’ve made some progress, but still have work to be done when it comes to drawing fans.
That wasn’t an issue tonight as they enjoyed a sellout crowd for their New Year’s Eve game against the Edmonton Oilers. The only question was if they were going to give the fans a reason to want to come back. They did.
Down by a goal late in the third period, the Coyotes yanked their goaltender and overwhelmed Oilers goalie Ilya Bryzgalov:
That forced the game into overtime and set the stage of Keith Yandle‘s deciding goal on a breakaway just seconds before the game would have been sent to a shootout:
“I think that’s my first overtime goal,” Yandle said, according to the Coyotes. “It felt great, especially with a sold-out crowd.”
It was his second goal of the night, giving him 27 points in 39 games. That’s good enough for third place on the scoring race among defensemen born in the United States. Team USA will announce their Olympic roster tomorrow.
“It would mean everything,” Yandle said of the opportunity to represent his country.
- Video: Flyers trounce slumping Penguins on Rivalry Night 29
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 5
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 15
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 36
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)