Jan 1, 2014, 12:30 AM EDT
The Phoenix Coyotes have new ownership and with it a chance to stay in Glendale. They’ve made some progress, but still have work to be done when it comes to drawing fans.
That wasn’t an issue tonight as they enjoyed a sellout crowd for their New Year’s Eve game against the Edmonton Oilers. The only question was if they were going to give the fans a reason to want to come back. They did.
Down by a goal late in the third period, the Coyotes yanked their goaltender and overwhelmed Oilers goalie Ilya Bryzgalov:
That forced the game into overtime and set the stage of Keith Yandle‘s deciding goal on a breakaway just seconds before the game would have been sent to a shootout:
“I think that’s my first overtime goal,” Yandle said, according to the Coyotes. “It felt great, especially with a sold-out crowd.”
It was his second goal of the night, giving him 27 points in 39 games. That’s good enough for third place on the scoring race among defensemen born in the United States. Team USA will announce their Olympic roster tomorrow.
“It would mean everything,” Yandle said of the opportunity to represent his country.
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 31
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 40
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 18
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 12
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (44)
- New Caps regime plans to keep Ovechkin at RW (for now) (42)