Jan 1, 2014, 12:30 AM EDT
The Phoenix Coyotes have new ownership and with it a chance to stay in Glendale. They’ve made some progress, but still have work to be done when it comes to drawing fans.
That wasn’t an issue tonight as they enjoyed a sellout crowd for their New Year’s Eve game against the Edmonton Oilers. The only question was if they were going to give the fans a reason to want to come back. They did.
Down by a goal late in the third period, the Coyotes yanked their goaltender and overwhelmed Oilers goalie Ilya Bryzgalov:
That forced the game into overtime and set the stage of Keith Yandle‘s deciding goal on a breakaway just seconds before the game would have been sent to a shootout:
“I think that’s my first overtime goal,” Yandle said, according to the Coyotes. “It felt great, especially with a sold-out crowd.”
It was his second goal of the night, giving him 27 points in 39 games. That’s good enough for third place on the scoring race among defensemen born in the United States. Team USA will announce their Olympic roster tomorrow.
“It would mean everything,” Yandle said of the opportunity to represent his country.
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 15
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 28
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 9
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 17
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 57
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 106
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 12
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (106)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (91)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)