Jan 1, 2014, 1:37 PM EDT
The oft-rumored Tim Gleason trade is complete.
Gleason is on his way from Carolina to Toronto, according to the Raleigh News & Observer. In exchange, the Leafs will send defenseman John-Michael Liles and defenseman Dennis Robertson, the Leafs’ sixth-round pick at the 2011 NHL Entry Draft.
Gleason, 30, has spent the last eight years with the ‘Canes after breaking into the NHL with Los Angeles. He represented the U.S. at the 2010 Olympics in Vancouver, capturing a silver medal.
This has been a difficult season for Gleason, though, as he’s appeared in just 17 games and is averaging less than 16 minutes a night. He has no goals, just one assist and a minus-7 rating.
Gleason is in the second of a four-year, $16 million deal.
Liles, 33, is also in the second year of his deal — a four-year, $15.5 contract. He’s been largely out of the mix for Toronto this season — really, ever since Randy Carlyle took over as head coach — and has played just six NHL games this season, spending most of his time with the AHL Marlies.
Toronto is believed to be the first team to trade a player while participating in the Winter Classic. Liles is at the Big House but a healthy scratch for today’s game.
Gleason has a full no trade clause so he would have had to approve the deal. And could affect future trade if Leafs try to move him again.
— James Mirtle (@mirtle) January 1, 2014
Neither team, TOR or CAR, is taking back any salary in this trade. Full value of contracts move with both Gleason and Liles.
— Bob McKenzie (@TSNBobMcKenzie) January 1, 2014
Update: The ‘Canes have made the trade official, with the following statement from GM Jim Rutherford…
“John-Michael is a puck-moving defenseman who has demonstrated in his career that he can make a difference offensively from the blue line.
“Tim has been a valuable player and leader for the Hurricanes for a long time. We thank him for the contributions he has made to the team and the community and wish him all the best as his career continues.”
Jul 3, 2015, 11:00 PM EDT
Scored 13 goals in 54 games last season.
Jul 3, 2015, 10:00 PM EDT
He was sentenced in September, 2013.
Jul 3, 2015, 9:00 PM EDT
Spent the last three seasons in the KHL.
Jul 3, 2015, 7:44 PM EDT
Buffalo also signed Cal O’Reilly, who played last season with the AHL Utica Comets.
Jul 3, 2015, 6:43 PM EDT
He signed a six-year, $36 million deal with Columbus.
Jul 3, 2015, 5:44 PM EDT
“Joel is a quality veteran player who can score but also plays an extremely hard-nosed brand of hockey.”
Jul 3, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
Could make things interesting next season.
Jul 3, 2015, 4:00 PM EDT
Brings a wealth of success, experience at AHL, collegiate levels.
Jul 3, 2015, 3:12 PM EDT
$52.5 million extension.
Jul 3, 2015, 2:50 PM EDT
“This long-term commitment that assures he will be an important part of our team for years to come.”
Jul 3, 2015, 2:37 PM EDT
“They gotta come in and knock somebody out of the box.”
Jul 3, 2015, 2:12 PM EDT
A one-year, two-way deal for the ex-Islander.
Jul 3, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
Charlie Huddy, Pascal Vincent and Wade Flaherty all inked three-year extensions.
Jul 3, 2015, 12:46 PM EDT
Expected to battle Brian Elliott for the starting role in St. Louis.
Jul 3, 2015, 12:23 PM EDT
“It’s an exciting time to be a part of this organization.”
Jul 3, 2015, 11:44 AM EDT
Jul 3, 2015, 11:32 AM EDT
Bobby Sanguinetti to Buffalo; Sharks grab Mark Cundari.
Jul 3, 2015, 11:30 AM EDT
Where he “contributed to the development of Jonathan Quick, Jonathan Bernier and Martin Jones.”
Jul 3, 2015, 11:19 AM EDT
How patiently will he wait?
Jul 3, 2015, 10:46 AM EDT
The 44th overall pick at the 2008 NHL Entry Draft.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)