Jan 1, 2014, 1:37 PM EDT
The oft-rumored Tim Gleason trade is complete.
Gleason is on his way from Carolina to Toronto, according to the Raleigh News & Observer. In exchange, the Leafs will send defenseman John-Michael Liles and defenseman Dennis Robertson, the Leafs’ sixth-round pick at the 2011 NHL Entry Draft.
Gleason, 30, has spent the last eight years with the ‘Canes after breaking into the NHL with Los Angeles. He represented the U.S. at the 2010 Olympics in Vancouver, capturing a silver medal.
This has been a difficult season for Gleason, though, as he’s appeared in just 17 games and is averaging less than 16 minutes a night. He has no goals, just one assist and a minus-7 rating.
Gleason is in the second of a four-year, $16 million deal.
Liles, 33, is also in the second year of his deal — a four-year, $15.5 contract. He’s been largely out of the mix for Toronto this season — really, ever since Randy Carlyle took over as head coach — and has played just six NHL games this season, spending most of his time with the AHL Marlies.
Toronto is believed to be the first team to trade a player while participating in the Winter Classic. Liles is at the Big House but a healthy scratch for today’s game.
Gleason has a full no trade clause so he would have had to approve the deal. And could affect future trade if Leafs try to move him again.
— James Mirtle (@mirtle) January 1, 2014
Neither team, TOR or CAR, is taking back any salary in this trade. Full value of contracts move with both Gleason and Liles.
— Bob McKenzie (@TSNBobMcKenzie) January 1, 2014
Update: The ‘Canes have made the trade official, with the following statement from GM Jim Rutherford…
“John-Michael is a puck-moving defenseman who has demonstrated in his career that he can make a difference offensively from the blue line.
“Tim has been a valuable player and leader for the Hurricanes for a long time. We thank him for the contributions he has made to the team and the community and wish him all the best as his career continues.”
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 0
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 0
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 3
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 14
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)