Jan 1, 2014, 9:09 AM EDT
The Los Angeles Kings lost their fourth straight last night, falling 3-2 to the Stars in Dallas. After the game, coach Darryl Sutter was asked about the performance of his goalie, Ben Scrivens.
“You know what? Our goaltending’s leveled out,” said Sutter, per LA Kings Insider. “When you’re not scoring goals – we’re not a team that scores a lot of goals – you need more than average goaltending, and the second goal tonight’s not a great goal. Whether it’s off the boards, or whatever it is, you’ve got to make those. That’s part of what the best goalies in the league do.”
Here’s that second goal, a bank shot off Scrivens’ skate by Tyler Seguin:
Was Sutter being a little hard on Scrivens? Maybe. Unless you think Scrivens could be faulted for getting himself too far out of position on the original shot that missed the net.
But Sutter’s right about the Kings not scoring much; they’re currently ranked 20th in the NHL, averaging 2.54 goals per game.
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 0
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 17
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 25
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 19
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 19
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 9
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 31
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)