Jan 1, 2014, 9:09 AM EDT
The Los Angeles Kings lost their fourth straight last night, falling 3-2 to the Stars in Dallas. After the game, coach Darryl Sutter was asked about the performance of his goalie, Ben Scrivens.
“You know what? Our goaltending’s leveled out,” said Sutter, per LA Kings Insider. “When you’re not scoring goals – we’re not a team that scores a lot of goals – you need more than average goaltending, and the second goal tonight’s not a great goal. Whether it’s off the boards, or whatever it is, you’ve got to make those. That’s part of what the best goalies in the league do.”
Here’s that second goal, a bank shot off Scrivens’ skate by Tyler Seguin:
Was Sutter being a little hard on Scrivens? Maybe. Unless you think Scrivens could be faulted for getting himself too far out of position on the original shot that missed the net.
But Sutter’s right about the Kings not scoring much; they’re currently ranked 20th in the NHL, averaging 2.54 goals per game.
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 8
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 44
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (44)