Jan 1, 2014, 9:09 AM EDT
The Los Angeles Kings lost their fourth straight last night, falling 3-2 to the Stars in Dallas. After the game, coach Darryl Sutter was asked about the performance of his goalie, Ben Scrivens.
“You know what? Our goaltending’s leveled out,” said Sutter, per LA Kings Insider. “When you’re not scoring goals – we’re not a team that scores a lot of goals – you need more than average goaltending, and the second goal tonight’s not a great goal. Whether it’s off the boards, or whatever it is, you’ve got to make those. That’s part of what the best goalies in the league do.”
Here’s that second goal, a bank shot off Scrivens’ skate by Tyler Seguin:
Was Sutter being a little hard on Scrivens? Maybe. Unless you think Scrivens could be faulted for getting himself too far out of position on the original shot that missed the net.
But Sutter’s right about the Kings not scoring much; they’re currently ranked 20th in the NHL, averaging 2.54 goals per game.
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 9
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 64
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 16
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 40
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 14
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 12
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 46
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 4
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 39
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (89)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (64)