Jan 1, 2014, 9:09 AM EST
The Los Angeles Kings lost their fourth straight last night, falling 3-2 to the Stars in Dallas. After the game, coach Darryl Sutter was asked about the performance of his goalie, Ben Scrivens.
“You know what? Our goaltending’s leveled out,” said Sutter, per LA Kings Insider. “When you’re not scoring goals – we’re not a team that scores a lot of goals – you need more than average goaltending, and the second goal tonight’s not a great goal. Whether it’s off the boards, or whatever it is, you’ve got to make those. That’s part of what the best goalies in the league do.”
Here’s that second goal, a bank shot off Scrivens’ skate by Tyler Seguin:
Was Sutter being a little hard on Scrivens? Maybe. Unless you think Scrivens could be faulted for getting himself too far out of position on the original shot that missed the net.
But Sutter’s right about the Kings not scoring much; they’re currently ranked 20th in the NHL, averaging 2.54 goals per game.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 7
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)