Jan 1, 2014, 9:09 AM EDT
The Los Angeles Kings lost their fourth straight last night, falling 3-2 to the Stars in Dallas. After the game, coach Darryl Sutter was asked about the performance of his goalie, Ben Scrivens.
“You know what? Our goaltending’s leveled out,” said Sutter, per LA Kings Insider. “When you’re not scoring goals – we’re not a team that scores a lot of goals – you need more than average goaltending, and the second goal tonight’s not a great goal. Whether it’s off the boards, or whatever it is, you’ve got to make those. That’s part of what the best goalies in the league do.”
Here’s that second goal, a bank shot off Scrivens’ skate by Tyler Seguin:
Was Sutter being a little hard on Scrivens? Maybe. Unless you think Scrivens could be faulted for getting himself too far out of position on the original shot that missed the net.
But Sutter’s right about the Kings not scoring much; they’re currently ranked 20th in the NHL, averaging 2.54 goals per game.
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 20
- All eyes on Lundqvist 9
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 9
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 27
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 38
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)