Jan 1, 2014, 10:31 PM EST
The United States’ 2014 Winter Olympic roster announcement captured the hockey world’s attention on Wednesday, but America’s snubbed list won’t have anything on Team Canada. One big X-factor is Steven Stamkos‘ recovery from a broken leg; while he’s still a tossup, the latest Canadian Press update is highly optimistic.
“It’s at the stage now where you make so much progress the first four or five weeks and now it’s about maintaining that, getting stronger, working out in the gym, going on the ice and trying to make sure you feel better every day, and I am so it’s definitely positive,” Stamkos said.
The latest update isn’t just positive for the 23-year-old, it’s also a little repetitive, as he continues to wrestle with seemingly conflicting forces of ambition (the Olympic dream) and caution (avoiding prolonged health concerns).
“That’s one of the harder things, but your body is pretty good at letting you know what you can and can not do,” Stamkos said. “We’ve come to a stage now where everything has gone extremely well. You don’t want to push it and over-do it and have a setback.”
Walking that tightrope is probably easier said than done. We’ll find out soon enough how Canada will handle this situation, which could also mean finding out who would be the replacement if Stamkos can’t go.
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 0
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 1
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 8
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 13
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 5
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)