Jan 1, 2014, 10:31 PM EDT
The United States’ 2014 Winter Olympic roster announcement captured the hockey world’s attention on Wednesday, but America’s snubbed list won’t have anything on Team Canada. One big X-factor is Steven Stamkos‘ recovery from a broken leg; while he’s still a tossup, the latest Canadian Press update is highly optimistic.
“It’s at the stage now where you make so much progress the first four or five weeks and now it’s about maintaining that, getting stronger, working out in the gym, going on the ice and trying to make sure you feel better every day, and I am so it’s definitely positive,” Stamkos said.
The latest update isn’t just positive for the 23-year-old, it’s also a little repetitive, as he continues to wrestle with seemingly conflicting forces of ambition (the Olympic dream) and caution (avoiding prolonged health concerns).
“That’s one of the harder things, but your body is pretty good at letting you know what you can and can not do,” Stamkos said. “We’ve come to a stage now where everything has gone extremely well. You don’t want to push it and over-do it and have a setback.”
Walking that tightrope is probably easier said than done. We’ll find out soon enough how Canada will handle this situation, which could also mean finding out who would be the replacement if Stamkos can’t go.
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 26
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (57)