Jan 1, 2014, 10:31 PM EDT
The United States’ 2014 Winter Olympic roster announcement captured the hockey world’s attention on Wednesday, but America’s snubbed list won’t have anything on Team Canada. One big X-factor is Steven Stamkos‘ recovery from a broken leg; while he’s still a tossup, the latest Canadian Press update is highly optimistic.
“It’s at the stage now where you make so much progress the first four or five weeks and now it’s about maintaining that, getting stronger, working out in the gym, going on the ice and trying to make sure you feel better every day, and I am so it’s definitely positive,” Stamkos said.
The latest update isn’t just positive for the 23-year-old, it’s also a little repetitive, as he continues to wrestle with seemingly conflicting forces of ambition (the Olympic dream) and caution (avoiding prolonged health concerns).
“That’s one of the harder things, but your body is pretty good at letting you know what you can and can not do,” Stamkos said. “We’ve come to a stage now where everything has gone extremely well. You don’t want to push it and over-do it and have a setback.”
Walking that tightrope is probably easier said than done. We’ll find out soon enough how Canada will handle this situation, which could also mean finding out who would be the replacement if Stamkos can’t go.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)