Jan 1, 2014, 7:54 PM EST
When it comes to assembling the roster for a hockey-rich country like the United States, there are going to be notable omissions. American (and Nashville Predators GM) David Poile discussed the selection process after the 2014 Winter Classic on Wednesday … and also made a confident prediction.
“We expect to win,” Poile said.
He said that he “couldn’t be happier” with the roster they assembled.
Poile explained that talent wasn’t the lone consideration for inclusion on the roster. Instead, it seemed to come down to finding the right fits.
“We did not pick the best 25 (U.S.) players,” Poile said. “We picked the best players that we felt gave us a chance to compete for a gold medal.”
Even so, many wonder why Bobby Ryan wasn’t named to the team. After all, at 26, he already has four 30+ goal seasons to his name.
“Bobby’s a fabulous player,” Poile said. “I love him. I’d love him for my own team.”
(Just not to his Olympic team.)
Poile noted that goalies Ben Bishop, Cory Schneider and Tim Thomas were tough omissions. The list of skaters he considered was rather large, with Erik Johnson, Jack Johnson, Dustin Byfuglien, Seth Jones, Keith Yandle, Kyle Okposo, Jason Pominville, Brandon Dubinsky, Justin Abdelkader and Ryan earning mentions.
The best news for Ryan and other “snubs” might be that they could be an injury or two away from making the team, after all.
David Poile says some U.S. players will be told that they are on-call in case of an injury before Sochi.
— Chris Johnston (@reporterchris) January 1, 2014
For an even deeper look at the process for Poile and the rest of the American brain trust, check out this in-depth piece by Scott Burnside of ESPN.
Dec 27, 2014, 12:42 PM EST
He won’t need to undergo surgery.
Dec 27, 2014, 12:05 PM EST
The Devils will dress 11 forwards tonight.
Dec 27, 2014, 11:28 AM EST
It’s been that kind of season for Columbus.
Dec 27, 2014, 10:43 AM EST
Dec 27, 2014, 10:17 AM EST
Paul MacLean’s name has been mentioned too.
Dec 27, 2014, 9:53 AM EST
Los Angeles is in a delicate position after a pre-holiday slump.
Dec 27, 2014, 1:00 AM EST
Dec 27, 2014, 12:05 AM EST
No official word from New Jersey.
Dec 26, 2014, 10:49 PM EST
This was over early.
Dec 26, 2014, 10:00 PM EST
It’s hitting the fan for New Jersey.
Dec 26, 2014, 8:30 PM EST
Long-time play-by-play man Bob Cole also recognized.
Dec 26, 2014, 7:00 PM EST
Will be filling the spot vacated by the suspended John Scott.
Dec 26, 2014, 5:38 PM EST
Decent start for the Americans at the World Juniors.
Dec 26, 2014, 4:30 PM EST
New Jersey has three of the five oldest skaters in the NHL.
Dec 26, 2014, 3:30 PM EST
The Anaheim Ducks have been good — or is it lucky? — in one-goal games.
Dec 26, 2014, 2:30 PM EST
Connor McDavid headlines a loaded host side that hasn’t won gold since 2009.
Dec 26, 2014, 1:28 PM EST
Dec 26, 2014, 12:43 PM EST
New Jersey off to a disappointing 12-17-7 start. The coach pays the price.
Dec 26, 2014, 12:34 PM EST
Brandon Sutter cleared.
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 16
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 1
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 1
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 2
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 5
- Devils fire DeBoer 21
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 7
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 21
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)