Jan 1, 2014, 6:37 PM EDT
For every Olympic snub, there’s a player or two who surprised some by making the United States’ team on Wednesday. St. Louis Blues forward TJ Oshie didn’t deny his bubble status when reacting to the news, as the St. Louis Post-Dispatch’s Jeremy Rutherford reports.
“I was in shock a little bit,” Oshie said. “But very happy, very proud to be named to the team. Very, very excited to get to Sochi.”
He’ll join his fellow teammate David Backes, whose inclusion isn’t much of a surprise. Backes shared an amusing anecdote about hoping that he’d hear Oshie’s name during America’s announcements, which went in alphabetical order.
“I saw Orpik and I was trying to figure out the alphabet to see if ‘Os’ was before or after ‘Or,’” Backes said. “Then I saw the 74 coming and I almost jumped out of my chair I was so happy for Osh.”
(Good thing we’re not talking about the United States spelling bee team, huh?)
A more recent dream means getting a break from Blues head coach Ken Hitchcock, a member of Team Canada’s staff.
The smack talk is starting already, but really, how often do you get to send a little your coach’s way?
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 25
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 53
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 41
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 11
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (68)