Jan 1, 2014, 6:37 PM EDT
For every Olympic snub, there’s a player or two who surprised some by making the United States’ team on Wednesday. St. Louis Blues forward TJ Oshie didn’t deny his bubble status when reacting to the news, as the St. Louis Post-Dispatch’s Jeremy Rutherford reports.
“I was in shock a little bit,” Oshie said. “But very happy, very proud to be named to the team. Very, very excited to get to Sochi.”
He’ll join his fellow teammate David Backes, whose inclusion isn’t much of a surprise. Backes shared an amusing anecdote about hoping that he’d hear Oshie’s name during America’s announcements, which went in alphabetical order.
“I saw Orpik and I was trying to figure out the alphabet to see if ‘Os’ was before or after ‘Or,'” Backes said. “Then I saw the 74 coming and I almost jumped out of my chair I was so happy for Osh.”
(Good thing we’re not talking about the United States spelling bee team, huh?)
A more recent dream means getting a break from Blues head coach Ken Hitchcock, a member of Team Canada’s staff.
The smack talk is starting already, but really, how often do you get to send a little your coach’s way?
- Giroux leaves ice after 15 minutes with lower-body injury 5
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 4
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 25
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 14
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 7
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)