Jan 1, 2014, 6:37 PM EDT
For every Olympic snub, there’s a player or two who surprised some by making the United States’ team on Wednesday. St. Louis Blues forward TJ Oshie didn’t deny his bubble status when reacting to the news, as the St. Louis Post-Dispatch’s Jeremy Rutherford reports.
“I was in shock a little bit,” Oshie said. “But very happy, very proud to be named to the team. Very, very excited to get to Sochi.”
He’ll join his fellow teammate David Backes, whose inclusion isn’t much of a surprise. Backes shared an amusing anecdote about hoping that he’d hear Oshie’s name during America’s announcements, which went in alphabetical order.
“I saw Orpik and I was trying to figure out the alphabet to see if ‘Os’ was before or after ‘Or,'” Backes said. “Then I saw the 74 coming and I almost jumped out of my chair I was so happy for Osh.”
(Good thing we’re not talking about the United States spelling bee team, huh?)
A more recent dream means getting a break from Blues head coach Ken Hitchcock, a member of Team Canada’s staff.
The smack talk is starting already, but really, how often do you get to send a little your coach’s way?
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 16
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 10
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)