Jan 1, 2014, 3:29 PM EDT
Roberto Luongo has returned to Canucks practice and says he’s feeling well, but it’ll be rookie Eddie Lack that’ll get the start tonight — his third in a row — when the Canucks host the Lightning in Vancouver.
Luongo, hurt on an Evander Kane shot in a win over Winnipeg on Dec. 22., said he was “feeling good” after taking the full morning skate. While he won’t dress against the Lightning, it’s possible he could be back this weekend, when the Canucks embark on a two-game California road swing through Los Angeles and Anaheim.
Barring no setbacks, Sounds like #canucks Luongo ready for the weekend and Burrows could be skating with team around that time too.
— Dan Murphy (@sportsnetmurph) December 31, 2013
As for Lack, he’ll be looking to build upon what’s been a very solid first season in the NHL. The lanky Swede is 7-2-1 this season with a 1.84 GAA and a .929 save percentage.
From an Olympic perspective, Luongo being close to return comes as good news to Team Canada. Luongo is expected to be one of the three goalies named to the team and will be in line to challenge for the No. 1 gig when games get underway in Sochi.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 17
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5