Jan 1, 2014, 3:29 PM EST
Roberto Luongo has returned to Canucks practice and says he’s feeling well, but it’ll be rookie Eddie Lack that’ll get the start tonight — his third in a row — when the Canucks host the Lightning in Vancouver.
Luongo, hurt on an Evander Kane shot in a win over Winnipeg on Dec. 22., said he was “feeling good” after taking the full morning skate. While he won’t dress against the Lightning, it’s possible he could be back this weekend, when the Canucks embark on a two-game California road swing through Los Angeles and Anaheim.
Barring no setbacks, Sounds like #canucks Luongo ready for the weekend and Burrows could be skating with team around that time too.
— Dan Murphy (@sportsnetmurph) December 31, 2013
As for Lack, he’ll be looking to build upon what’s been a very solid first season in the NHL. The lanky Swede is 7-2-1 this season with a 1.84 GAA and a .929 save percentage.
From an Olympic perspective, Luongo being close to return comes as good news to Team Canada. Luongo is expected to be one of the three goalies named to the team and will be in line to challenge for the No. 1 gig when games get underway in Sochi.
- Leafs scoring slump hits historical low 11
- Video: Rangers’ Lundqvist takes puck to the neck 3
- Zamboni driver arrested for DUI, allegedly cleaned ice surface while drunk 13
- Mike Richards trying to make the best of being sent to the AHL 9
- Price leads Habs past Caps with second straight shutout 8
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 5
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 27
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 61
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4