Jan 1, 2014, 3:29 PM EDT
Roberto Luongo has returned to Canucks practice and says he’s feeling well, but it’ll be rookie Eddie Lack that’ll get the start tonight — his third in a row — when the Canucks host the Lightning in Vancouver.
Luongo, hurt on an Evander Kane shot in a win over Winnipeg on Dec. 22., said he was “feeling good” after taking the full morning skate. While he won’t dress against the Lightning, it’s possible he could be back this weekend, when the Canucks embark on a two-game California road swing through Los Angeles and Anaheim.
Barring no setbacks, Sounds like #canucks Luongo ready for the weekend and Burrows could be skating with team around that time too.
— Dan Murphy (@sportsnetmurph) December 31, 2013
As for Lack, he’ll be looking to build upon what’s been a very solid first season in the NHL. The lanky Swede is 7-2-1 this season with a 1.84 GAA and a .929 save percentage.
From an Olympic perspective, Luongo being close to return comes as good news to Team Canada. Luongo is expected to be one of the three goalies named to the team and will be in line to challenge for the No. 1 gig when games get underway in Sochi.
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 56
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 26
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 45
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 31
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 41
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 91
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (57)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)