Jan 1, 2014, 12:02 PM EDT
Jonathan Quick‘s return to the NHL will take a quick departure through the American League.
The Kings have announced that Quick will head to AHL Manchester on a conditioning stint as part of his recovery from a groin strain, according to LA Kings Insider. Quick, who hasn’t played since getting hurt in Buffalo on Nov. 12, is currently with traveling with the Kings on their four-game road swing.
it’s unclear exactly when he’ll join the Monarchs — or how many games he’ll play — but Kings Insider has confirmed the move.
The news of his return is big for Los Angeles and USA Hockey. Earlier this week, a report claimed Quick would be one of the three goalies selected for the Winter Olympics, along with Buffalo’s Ryan Miller and Detroit’s Jimmy Howard.
It’ll be curious to see how fast Quick can get back into game shape. He’s missed the last 24 games — one of the most severe injuries of his career — and will have roughly a month’s worth of action to knock the rust off before the NHL shuts down for the Olympic break.
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 3
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 15
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 11
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 40
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)