Jan 1, 2014, 12:02 PM EDT
Jonathan Quick‘s return to the NHL will take a quick departure through the American League.
The Kings have announced that Quick will head to AHL Manchester on a conditioning stint as part of his recovery from a groin strain, according to LA Kings Insider. Quick, who hasn’t played since getting hurt in Buffalo on Nov. 12, is currently with traveling with the Kings on their four-game road swing.
it’s unclear exactly when he’ll join the Monarchs — or how many games he’ll play — but Kings Insider has confirmed the move.
The news of his return is big for Los Angeles and USA Hockey. Earlier this week, a report claimed Quick would be one of the three goalies selected for the Winter Olympics, along with Buffalo’s Ryan Miller and Detroit’s Jimmy Howard.
It’ll be curious to see how fast Quick can get back into game shape. He’s missed the last 24 games — one of the most severe injuries of his career — and will have roughly a month’s worth of action to knock the rust off before the NHL shuts down for the Olympic break.
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)