Jan 1, 2014, 12:02 PM EDT
Jonathan Quick‘s return to the NHL will take a quick departure through the American League.
The Kings have announced that Quick will head to AHL Manchester on a conditioning stint as part of his recovery from a groin strain, according to LA Kings Insider. Quick, who hasn’t played since getting hurt in Buffalo on Nov. 12, is currently with traveling with the Kings on their four-game road swing.
it’s unclear exactly when he’ll join the Monarchs — or how many games he’ll play — but Kings Insider has confirmed the move.
The news of his return is big for Los Angeles and USA Hockey. Earlier this week, a report claimed Quick would be one of the three goalies selected for the Winter Olympics, along with Buffalo’s Ryan Miller and Detroit’s Jimmy Howard.
It’ll be curious to see how fast Quick can get back into game shape. He’s missed the last 24 games — one of the most severe injuries of his career — and will have roughly a month’s worth of action to knock the rust off before the NHL shuts down for the Olympic break.
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 0
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 18
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 28
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 26
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 13
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 50
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 16
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (51)